PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I had the same thing happen in April of last year, also a pipe sold in the UK.
It was you i was thinking of in my reply above,i remember it was a pipe your had searched for for a long time and finally found one,only to lose it
"I remember someone buying a pipe that had horn as part of the description that was stopped at the GLS like your one,due to horn being a restricted item even though it was before the cut off date.Was that you Dave"

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
It was you i was thinking of in my reply above,i remember it was a pipe your had searched for for a long time and finally found one,only to lose it
"I remember someone buying a pipe that had horn as part of the description that was stopped at the GLS like your one,due to horn being a restricted item even though it was before the cut off date.Was that you Dave"
The pipe is question reportedly has a horn stem. The pictures weren’t good enough to see if that was true. However, that would make sense. But like most things it depends on whose hands in customs the package goes through.

Reactions: paulfg
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Apart from a pathological PAD , I'm a stickmaker too . Meaning I make wonderful country walking/hiking
sticks from hazel, ash, blackthorn etc. Most of them fitted with an antler handle .
A kind Birmingham UK situated Ebay seller offered me 5 wonderfully seasoned, well thorned ,steam straightened and worm treated blackthorn stick shanks. He no longer shipped to the US due to sticks stolen by Pitney Bowes as a so-called restricted item .
EU however should go swimmingly.
Quess what ; Pitney Bowes stole my sticks ( as being a restricted item ) and Ebay refunded.
" The sticks will not be returned to the seller ".
Reason : PB marked the seller as being located in Birmingham, Alabama US !!
I contacted both Ebay and PB thrice, but to no avail. Tired of my stubborn nuisance they closed down the communication.
Contacting the Ebay community I learned that my precious, rare stolen sticks would most likely be destroyed (!)
or listed on Ebay again in a near future , to be sold by PB for goodness sakes !
One PB victim was robbed from a wonderful guitar with a rosewood neck .
Advise : mark your taken item as a saved search and it could eventually show up again to be sold .
It is bloody shame and I'm hopping mad .
Meanwhile many sellers abandoned the Ebay shipping.
I now lost two items in one month; a wonderful Dunhill pipe and the blackthorn stick shanks.

rokerdepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2014
Ottawa, Canada
www.ericstendal.com
I hate that Global Shipping Program. I'm pretty set up as far as pipes go off eBay now. I'll buy from those who don't use that service. Some are forced to though, which ties the seller's hands. I remember hearing that some well established sellers were extorted into using the Global Shipping Program, or they'd lose their high seller status and other such niceties. That sucks for sellers and subjects us all to ill-informed seizure decisions.

Sorry to hear of this.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
In 20 years I have never sold anything on Ebay. I have bought over 100 items and have neve had one problem, ever. I have never had to go after someone because an item didn't show up. I would recommend buying and not selling.

• Love
Reactions: ashdigger
Aug 1, 2012
Sorry to hear that @ashdigger. Sadly, I see that a lot in the musical instrument world with rosewood anything. eBay doesn't seem to care about what the actual laws are, just what they decide to do in the moment. Hopefully they re-sell the item as often happens with things like this and you can still get your hands on it through a UK-based member.