PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I'm sorry you didn't get your pipe. And sorry that overseas purchases on eBay are now suspect. I've bought very expensive pipes from the UK on eBay before; don't think I"ll be taking that particular gamble again anytime soon. Even with the refund I'm not interested if eBay has decided pipes are on the banned list.

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Here’s an interesting development I’ve mot seen before.

A pipe I purchased has disappeared into some rabbit hole. Both the seller and myself take a hit.

He loses a pipe with I assume no refund. I lose the same pipe but with a refund.

Luckily there are more fish in the sea.

View attachment 91304
Trying to put this in some context. Wondering who nicked the pipe, i.e.: eBay, 3rd party shipper or Customs.

A question:
When a seller utilizes eBay’s “Global Shipping Program” does eBay take possession of the item from the seller and act as a shipping broker between sell and buyer?

BTW, sorry to see this happen to you.

Reactions: DangerStranger

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Thats a bugger,what was the reason given.
I remember someone buying a pipe that had horn as part of the description that was stopped at the GLS like your one,due to horn being a restricted item even though it was before the cut off date.Was that you Dave
I had an order for a nail and gas cartridge for a paslode gun stopped and had a full refund .I assume the seller lost the item as per your post.

Reactions: DangerStranger

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Trying to put this in some context. Wondering who nicked the pipe, i.e.: eBay, 3rd party shipper or Customs.

A question:
When a seller utilizes eBay’s “Global Shipping Program” does eBay take possession of the item from the seller and act as a shipping broker between sell and buyer?

BTW, sorry to see this happen to you.
yes you ship to a local address and ebay do the custom paperwork etc, using Pitney Bowes,however if they deem the item a problem it seems they steal it.it never gets as far as customs at the destination country
My question is if the item is not shipable then why do they allow it to be shown as for sale to that destination in the first place?
Answer = they dont give a sh*t as long as they get your money

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
My question is if the item is not shipable then why do they allow it to be shown as for sale to that destination in the first place?
That is a good question isn’t it.
Unfortunately in big business the left hand doesn’t always care what the right hand is doing. Often divisions inside a company pay little attention or care to what their corporate brothers and sisters are doing.
It seems that avoiding using eBay’s Global Shipping Program is a best practice with tobacco related items.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've used the Ebay Global shipping many times, with only one issue. A tin of tobacco was pulled at customs,into China. Ebay said they gave the buyer a refund,and they refunded me the selling price. Made no sense. I never learned what happened to the tin of tobacco (I assume some Customs agent resold it).

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I always avoid ebay's global shipping program and request that sellers use Royal Mail Tracked for this very reason. eBay has gone to great lengths to convince sellers in the UK that the global shipping program is their safest option so many sellers refuse to use Royal Mail. I almost bid on that Susskind. Sorry it never made it home to you.