Swelling Tins of Tobacco, Found One Popped.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

M. Fischer

Lurker
Jul 31, 2021
Houston, Texas
Last night while going through my cellar, I found many of my C&D tins were swollen. The tops and bottoms are domed, I had one 8oz. tin of Valle Crucis that had blown its top. These tins are only 3 to 4 years old and I was really shocked. I have many older ones that have not done this, so should I put them in mason jars now or wait till they pop? and will this stop the aging process once they are opened?

Last night while going through my cellar, I found many of my C&D tins were swollen. The tops and bottoms are domed, I had one 8oz. tin of Valle Crucis that had blown its top. These tins are only 3 to 4 years old and I was really shocked. I have many older ones that have not done this, so should I put them in mason jars now or wait till they pop? and will this stop the aging process once they are opened?
I have over 200 tins of C&D products with dates going back to 2005 on some. And, none of my C&D tins are bulging. I wonder why yours are doing that.

I would just smoke the ones that pop. You can jar them, but I am not sure how they will continue to age. Do what you want, but I wouldn’t mess with the ones that havent popped. Maybe get them into a 68-75F range of temperature. And, if they are already in a cool environment…. I have no idea why yours are behaving so differently than mine.

M. Fischer

Lurker
Jul 31, 2021
Houston, Texas
I have over 200 tins of C&D products with dates going back to 2005 on some. And, none of my C&D tins are bulging. I wonder why yours are doing that.

I would just smoke the ones that pop. You can jar them, but I am not sure how they will continue to age. Do what you want, but I wouldn’t mess with the ones that havent popped. Maybe get them into a 68-75F range of temperature. And, if they are already in a cool environment…. I have no idea why yours are behaving so differently than mine.
Thanks, yes its crazy. Not all of my C&Ds are doing this probably 12 or so tins out of 70+ and they are all stored in the same environment in my office. The average room temp is 70 to 75F. I just thought it was odd.

M. Fischer

Lurker
Jul 31, 2021
Houston, Texas
Wow, a mystery. I wonder if anyone else is experiencing this with C&D. My GLP tins are all bubbled out like a stack of baseballs, but not my C&D. But, none of my GLPs have busted.
I have some of the GLP tins that are 4 or 5 years old and they seam to be fine. What's funny about this the tins that are swelling are mostly Virginia tobaccos in them.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Generally, swelling of the tin is considered a good sign, often a sign of fermentation. With C&D Virginias it can also occasionally be a sign that the tobacco is growing a beard.
As for stopping the aging process, decanting into a jar will interrupt it, but once sealed up the process will eventually continue.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I’m presently smoking through— nearing the end— of a Bulging metal can of Granger. In fact, it concerned me too and I posted a thread on this forum as you have.

The consensus was to just smoke it. I could tell no difference from non-bulging cans. It made quite a pop and puff when I pulled the ring.

The tobacco was just fine. I’d purchased it and a sister can (non-bulging) from a smoke shop. Both were stored in a cigar humidor, showed signs of rust from the humidity. They were STG so could be no more than 2016 or so In age.

Welcome to the forum.

M. Fischer

Lurker
Jul 31, 2021
Houston, Texas
Generally, swelling of the tin is considered a good sign, often a sign of fermentation. With C&D Virginias it can also occasionally be a sign that the tobacco is growing a beard.
As for stopping the aging process, decanting into a jar will interrupt it, but once sealed up the process will eventually continue.
Thank you Sir. the one tin that popped was okay and I decanted it, I am watching the others.