Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
That's a fairly young Welles in the top photo. Of course, pipesmoking was so very common back then that there are lots of photos of well known folks with pipes. Even Sinatra was photographed with pipe in hand, although Frank was really always a cigarette smoker (even buried with a pack of cigs (can't remember the brand), a lighter, a bottle of Jack and a roll of dimes for the eternal pay phone (a habit he started when his son was kidnapped).

Reactions: Sloopjohnbee

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
r
That's a fairly young Welles in the top photo. Of course, pipesmoking was so very common back then that there are lots of photos of well known folks with pipes. Even Sinatra was photographed with pipe in hand, although Frank was really always a cigarette smoker (even buried with a pack of cigs (can't remember the brand), a lighter, a bottle of Jack and a roll of dimes for the eternal pay phone (a habit he started when his son was kidnapped).
Roll of Dimes would be a good name for a throwback blend

Reactions: Kal

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As he aged, Orson gained a great deal of weight. He was not particularly heavy when he was young. The weight might have denoted being more sedentary, and pipes definitely require more activity to smoke. Also, I suppose he became more financially well-off over time, through investments if not show biz, so cigars would not have been a financial consideration. In his later career, he became a pitch man for a brand of wine. His tag line was, "We will sell no wine before its time." If you remember seeing that on TV, you're no kid.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
As he aged, Orson gained a great deal of weight. He was not particularly heavy when he was young. The weight might have denoted being more sedentary, and pipes definitely require more activity to smoke. Also, I suppose he became more financially well-off over time, through investments if not show biz, so cigars would not have been a financial consideration. In his later career, he became a pitch man for a brand of wine. His tag line was, "We will sell no wine before its time." If you remember seeing that on TV, you're no kid.

Eleven of his pipes went for $1477 in a 2012 auction.
link?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
just my own incapacity to maintain an attention span in the 21st century- sheer laziness - my apologies
I thought you had it handy at the time
Hadn't looked it up for a while. Was watching when it happened and figured it would go for far more or I would've tried to get it myself.?

Reactions: Sloopjohnbee

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
I’m shocked at how low the dollar amount was. Wow
it's the same as with his films - I know a lot about Welles but was letting everyone else do the talking as I was enjoying the thread - Ms. Kodar(his companion) mentioned how by the end of his life Orson was left for dead and ripped off - he was promised the world in financing and got nothing - goes to show how GREAT he was to work on such a budget and to be consistently undervalued though never underappreciated