PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Berg

Lurker
Mar 9, 2021
Australia
Hey all,

Thought I'd share this one as it might inspire some similar concepts.

Bit of a back story - I found an old record player in an op-shop a few months back. My intent at the time was to strip it out and replace everything with new componentry but keep the 'old school' look. The original turntable was stuffed and I only wanted the cabinetry anyway.
While I was stripping it apart one afternoon in the shed, pipe hanging out my mouth, I thought "maybe this would be an interesting pipe box". So the digitised radio concept got sidelined and I set to work turning it into a stylish place to store my few pipes and accessories.

Stupidly, I should have taken photos of the original box as bought, hind sight is always 20/20. But imagine it a bit knocked around with a light wood stain.

The final piece is in a gloss black with a few additional coats of clear to make it look polished. The inside I lined with a light bone felt, which I reckon looks nice against the black. Silver was used for an accent. The clear "porthole" in the front I have a future project to turn into a clock, once I work out how to cut some metal hands for it shaped like pipes....
Inside I cut slots for 7 pipes; which I'm slowly filling out. Dividers were added for normal pipe cleaners & bristled. In the left and right, are small pockets for lighters and tampers.

APC_0017.jpgAPC_0016.jpgAPC_0014.jpgAPC_0015.jpg

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
Hey all,

Thought I'd share this one as it might inspire some similar concepts.

Bit of a back story - I found an old record player in an op-shop a few months back. My intent at the time was to strip it out and replace everything with new componentry but keep the 'old school' look. The original turntable was stuffed and I only wanted the cabinetry anyway.
While I was stripping it apart one afternoon in the shed, pipe hanging out my mouth, I thought "maybe this would be an interesting pipe box". So the digitised radio concept got sidelined and I set to work turning it into a stylish place to store my few pipes and accessories.

Stupidly, I should have taken photos of the original box as bought, hind sight is always 20/20. But imagine it a bit knocked around with a light wood stain.

The final piece is in a gloss black with a few additional coats of clear to make it look polished. The inside I lined with a light bone felt, which I reckon looks nice against the black. Silver was used for an accent. The clear "porthole" in the front I have a future project to turn into a clock, once I work out how to cut some metal hands for it shaped like pipes....
Inside I cut slots for 7 pipes; which I'm slowly filling out. Dividers were added for normal pipe cleaners & bristled. In the left and right, are small pockets for lighters and tampers.

View attachment 89616View attachment 89615View attachment 89613View attachment 89614
That’s super cool. Great idea and great execution!