PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Effortlessdepths

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
I just bought this Great Dane from Smokingpipes, and I noticed the bottom of the chamber is pretty uneven, very unlike the briars, which have a smooth heel with the draught hole. I can see how with a cob, it probably has to be done this way, but does it cause any problems or irritations in cleaning? This is my first cob.

Attachments

• IMG_20210527_112523169_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210527_112523169_HDR.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 30

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just accept it and continue smoking. Oddly, these chambers are decidedly efficient leaf burners. I have more complete burn in cobs than any other pipe material, often the coveted all-white/gray ash. In the MM cob department, I recommend the special editions with acrylic stems. Contrary to consensus thinking, cobs last a long time and the soft plastic stems don't, so you may as well spend a little extra and get a stem that lasts as long as the cob.

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
I just bought this Great Dane from Smokingpipes, and I noticed the bottom of the chamber is pretty uneven, very unlike the briars, which have a smooth heel with the draught hole. I can see how with a cob, it probably has to be done this way, but does it cause any problems or irritations in cleaning? This is my first cob.
That looks like an optimal construction on a cob. I’d be happy with that, what I look for in cobs is a flush bottom so that there is little to no space beneath the shank and floor of the pipe bowl. As you smoke the pipe the shank top and sides will burn away so that the base of the shank will remain flush with the floor of the bowl. Smoke gingerly towards the bottom of the bowl and ease off when you begin to taste the wood burning from the shank. No need to burn away the shank because it will happen over time and the shank and bowl will become one in a sense with a good carbon coating. I smoke the same 2 cobs every day all day and as far as cleaning goes I just remove ash and dottle with a pipe nail then run 2 cleaners through shank and stem and bend a cleaner into a U shape to clean the bowl itself. Carbon is your friend. I also tap out any loose leaf stuck in the cracks. Hope this is helpful. Looks like you got a decent cob because some are really wonky.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
if you noticed my earlier thread I mentioned that the biggest thing that bothers me is old tobacco and ash left in the pipe for the next smoke- those seem to be a culprit for such experiences - I don't smoke cobs as my first pipe was a meer - but I've had plenty of 'leftovers' in my pipes and it never really ruined the smoke only the 'thought of it' was the main issue - I agree with MSO people like us have to just let these subtleties go and not ruin the smoke
Any which way you look at it smoking is NEVER Clean - so best have a Nice flavorful experience and move on. simple wipe is usually CLEAN ENOUGH regardless

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Just accept it and continue smoking. Oddly, these chambers are decidedly efficient leaf burners. I have more complete burn in cobs than any other pipe material, often the coveted all-white/gray ash. In the MM cob department, I recommend the special editions with acrylic stems. Contrary to consensus thinking, cobs last a long time and the soft plastic stems don't, so you may as well spend a little extra and get a stem that lasts as long as the cob.
the cob absorbs moisture pretty quickly so it doesn't collect in the leaf like with a briar.

C

carolinasmokes

That looks like an optimal construction on a cob. I’d be happy with that, what I look for in cobs is a flush bottom so that there is little to no space beneath the shank and floor of the pipe bowl. As you smoke the pipe the shank top and sides will burn away so that the base of the shank will remain flush with the floor of the bowl. Smoke gingerly towards the bottom of the bowl and ease off when you begin to taste the wood burning from the shank. No need to burn away the shank because it will happen over time and the shank and bowl will become one in a sense with a good carbon coating. I smoke the same 2 cobs every day all day and as far as cleaning goes I just remove ash and dottle with a pipe nail then run 2 cleaners through shank and stem and bend a cleaner into a U shape to clean the bowl itself. Carbon is your friend. I also tap out any loose leaf stuck in the cracks. Hope this is helpful. Looks like you got a decent cob because some are really wonky.
I agree with birdnerd75, in time the shank will burn away, the cracks and cervices around the shank will fill in and cake up leaving a cylindrical shaped bottom like a billiard. The extended shank also helps protect the cob pith.

Reactions: Effortlessdepths
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
You worked at MM?

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
Look up cob mod videos on YouTube.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
They do if you don't chew on them. This one was 11 years old and was bought years before I lost my teeth.

View attachment 81969
Yeah. I've never had to replace the mouthpiece for any of my cobs. I'm not a clencher, and when I have to clench for a bit (shifiting gears or what have you) I don't press on them.

The mouthpieces have teeth marks, alright, but no structural damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.