PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockyrepose

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Wyoming USA
I went for an outing yesterday and sat on a hill in the high plains enjoying a smoke after a well deserved lunch convinced I was miles from another soul. What tobacco species did American west settlers likely smoke? I had a bowl of Burley Morning Pipe thinking those big balled travelers could have never imagined someone riding a bike out here for entertainment. 37 miles round trip nothing but me and the cows excluding one guy out scouting for game.

I know they used tobacco products as barter and in some cases saving the hair on their heads. What was commercialy available in the early 1800's?

20210508_145219.jpg20210507_133937.jpg20210507_134352.jpg20210507_133918.jpg

Rockyrepose

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Wyoming USA

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Ropes and plugs, probably strong and nasty, too. There weren’t really any “brands” or blends as far as I know, just local farmers curing it, some local mill or small factory buying it and twisting it up, then selling it to the local store who sold it off to whoever bought it. Quality probably wasn’t much of a concern.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Ropes and plugs, probably strong and nasty, too. There weren’t really any “brands” or blends as far as I know, just local farmers curing it, some local mill or small factory buying it and twisting it up, then selling it to the local store who sold it off to whoever bought it. Quality probably wasn’t much of a concern.
I have no idea what the quality of the tobacco they were using was like, and you may be right that it wasn't very good. But I would think that those who were producing it were also using it themselves, so at least some of it may have been better than you think.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Also, anybody else ever just spend all their money on ammo and lay waste to the hunting screen?

Every. Single. Time.

But now I use it to teach ethics to my kids. You can only carry 100 pounds of meat back to the wagon, so we stop when we think we’re close to 100 pounds and let bison walk since that era was hell on them and every one we shoot in the game results in 347.6 pounds of wasted meat with a standard deviation of 5.7.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I went for an outing yesterday and sat on a hill in the high plains enjoying a smoke after a well deserved lunch convinced I was miles from another soul. What tobacco species did American west settlers likely smoke? I had a bowl of Burley Morning Pipe thinking those big balled travelers could have never imagined someone riding a bike out here for entertainment. 37 miles round trip nothing but me and the cows excluding one guy out scouting for game.

I know they used tobacco products as barter and in some cases saving the hair on their heads. What was commercialy available in the early 1800's?

View attachment 79061

View attachment 79062View attachment 79063View attachment 79064

No clue, but that Specialized needs WAY more bikepacking gear on it!

Status
Not open for further replies.