PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brooklynpipeclub

Can't Leave
Sep 6, 2019
Brooklyn, NYC
www.instagram.com
I recently had my first bowl of Bob's Chocolate Flake and really enjoyed it. Though the chocolate notes promised by the name were not overtly present, unexpected hints of sandalwood, cedar, or other aromatic wood notes did make themselves known and this was a pleasant surprise to me. Perhaps this is attributed to the 8% latakia that the blend is comprised of? At any rate I'm now on the hunt for blends that have this characteristic. I do get incense notes from latakia blends but this aromatic wood note was something different and distinct. Does anyone have any recommendations for blends that they feel deliver these flavors and are not lat bombs? Thanks very much!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I recently had my first bowl of Bob's Chocolate Flake and really enjoyed it. Though the chocolate notes promised by the name were not overtly present, unexpected hints of sandalwood, cedar, or other aromatic wood notes did make themselves known and this was a pleasant surprise to me. Perhaps this is attributed to the 8% latakia that the blend is comprised of? At any rate I'm now on the hunt for blends that have this characteristic. I do get incense notes from latakia blends but this aromatic wood note was something different and distinct. Does anyone have any recommendations for blends that they feel deliver these flavors and are not lat bombs? Thanks very much!
How old is the pipe that you smoked it in?

Reactions: ofafeather

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Interesting, I imagine the orange flavor in that blend would dominate the aromatic wood notes I'm looking for.
The fruit flavor is most noticeable, followed by maple and floral, but then the cedar is there. Some reviewers describe it as tea-like. To me it's a mildly astringent woody kind of thing.

The first time I tried it I was pleasantly surprised just in the same fashion as I was the first time I tried Bob's Chocolate Flake.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I find anything with a good amount of leaf from Indian has such notes. For instance University Flake has subtle hints of sandalwood and a tiny amount of Indian leaf. I wish I knew the name of the blend but years ago I had one with predominately Indian grown tobacco and it really had a sandalwood cedar hint. Hey at least you know where to search now.

brooklynpipeclub

Can't Leave
Sep 6, 2019
Brooklyn, NYC
www.instagram.com
I find anything with a good amount of leaf from Indian has such notes. For instance University Flake has subtle hints of sandalwood and a tiny amount of Indian leaf. I wish I knew the name of the blend but years ago I had one with predominately Indian grown tobacco and it really had a sandalwood cedar hint. Hey at least you know where to search now.
Thanks for the tip. Are Indian leaves considered Orientals? If the name of that other blend comes to mind, please do let me know.

brooklynpipeclub

Can't Leave
Sep 6, 2019
Brooklyn, NYC
www.instagram.com
The fruit flavor is most noticeable, followed by maple and floral, but then the cedar is there. Some reviewers describe it as tea-like. To me it's a mildly astringent woody kind of thing.

The first time I tried it I was pleasantly surprised just in the same fashion as I was the first time I tried Bob's Chocolate Flake.
Does exotic passion ghost a pipe with orange scent?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Thanks for the tip. Are Indian leaves considered Orientals? If the name of that other blend comes to mind, please do let me know.
honestly I don't know. And am most familiar with it in Indian snuff which even the unscented stuff has a real hint of sandalwood and cedar. It might just be burly grown in India for all I know or a different strain. It is also unusually oily for tobacco leaf with almost a butter note and feel. It might be how it's processed all I know is that little bit about it.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
The most common Indian varieties are sun cured Turkish, and sun or air cured dark VA. I absolutely love both and find some Indian VA to be very woody and cigar-like, and Indian Turkish to be very woody, buttery, and slightly floral (like dead flowers, not Lakeland)
If you see an old tin of Durbar for a decent price grab it. GLP Charing Cross has much of those flavors. DTM Patriot Flake delivers as well, with no latakia present.

Status
Not open for further replies.