PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
Hi, if you can afford it buy a couple of good inexpensive briars and a couple of decent cobs (e.g. carolina gent or dagner poker). This will reduce the urge to disassemble a hot pipe, although i agree with Ethan that it could be something else. You also might find a military mount or a spigot more to your liking as they can be broken down much more readily. Good luck

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I've broken a couple of tenons by dropping pipes, and another I had snap because the stem wasn't full in my car's center console so when I closed it...

I'll second the suggestion for army mounts and spigots. Not only can you break the pipe down at any point, even in the middle of smoking a bowl, but you can store it broken down so it will air out quicker if you want to smoke it again the same day. They tend not to be as inexpensive as some of the more affordable briars, but if you are willing/able to spend a hundred bucks or so, you will have a number of options from Peterson, and maybe others. And of course, the higher your budget, the more options you'll have.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Noob's an overused word, I snapped the shank of my first pipe once by putting it together without looking at what I was doing. A fraction more force applied made the shank explode.

I bet this is the last tenon snapping on you if no outside factor is at play, you'll be fine :)

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Tenon replacement is not expensive... less than $30 door to door. I have had a few tenons replaced/repaired (something I do not do myself) and have always been satisfied with the work. I am very picky too.

Reactions: Ethan and edger