PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I have a bunch of briars, a handful of cobs and one meer. I smoke the briars 99.99% of the time. I like the meer but very much dislike the undersized draft of the screw-in tenon/mortise doohickey. I keep meaning to pick up a meer with more modern draft construction but haven't found one that catches my eye yet. The cobs smoke great but need better stems. The fancy replacement stems don't quite make economic sense to me (too expensive).

Ethan

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2021
Massachusetts, USA
50% briar, 40% cob, 10% anything else...meer, maple, hickory etc. The glass/pyrex stuff I have doesn't get any use these days, I do have some nice pieces left though.

Reactions: JOHN72

jerseysam

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2019
Liberty Township. OH
All #'s from my backside but close enough:

Briar 60%, Morta 20%, Meer 15%, Olivewood 5%. Nothing against them...and I have a bunch...been a year or so since I smoked a cob.

Meer's are coming on strong to take market-share from Briar though....I bought a couple Altinay's over the last several months and I'm really enjoying them.

Ctbill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2019
CT & VT
50% briar (English, Balkan, VaPers), 50% Cob (Aro & burley, & codger blends). Smoke both sides of the aisle fairly equally. Never an English/Balkan in a cob, but sometimes a Va/VaPer in a cob. Sometimes an Aro in a briar..., but never a burley! MY tastes, of course...

Toast

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 15, 2021
UK
Mountain Laurel is similar to briar in its suitability for tobacco pipes. It was used for pipes in the U.S. during World War II when briar was scarce because the war disrupted its harvesting. The only carver I know of who uses it regularly today is Jerry Perry of Colfax, N.C., west of Greensboro in western N.C. He only sells at the N.C. State Fair in Raleigh in October, at the Village of Yesteryear pavilion, and at the TAPS pipe show at the Fairgrounds in April, not online, though he does a pipe repair business online. So far as I know, I am the only Forums member who owns a Mountain Laurel pipe. Speak up if you do!
I've seen you post about them before - I'd love to see some pictures!

Probably 50:50 morta:briar for me, I like both very much.

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
These days the cobs are winning out, but I dont have a cob for my English blends and already have some dedicated briars that work well for those.

50% cobs
30% briar
10% meer
10% clay
And the odd time I'll smoke my homemade cherry woods for some of my homegrown, just seems suiting.