PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Briar, Meer, Cob, Morta, Other? Not what your prefer, but what you actually smoke the most. I definitely smoke briar the most, then probably cobs and Mountain Laurel (I know a carver who does those), and then my one Meer. I have a clay pipe that I smoke only rarely. I really enjoy the cobs, the Meer, and the Mountain Laurel, but briar is my most smoked pipe material. How about you?

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Briar. Always the briar. Meerschaum - I have a couple and I enjoy them. But rarely do I smoke them. I have porcelain, but o'my, what a terrible smoke they provide. I even have pipestone, given to us by the White Buffalo Cow woman. But corn cob. Interesting isn't it, the continent that gave us tobacco also gave us the material with which to smoke it best - the corn cob. Have you thought about that. Yes, Europe is home to royalty, high civilization, and of course to briar, but America - we give the humble corn cob. And the world is better because of it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Mountain Laurel is similar to briar in its suitability for tobacco pipes. It was used for pipes in the U.S. during World War II when briar was scarce because the war disrupted its harvesting. The only carver I know of who uses it regularly today is Jerry Perry of Colfax, N.C., west of Greensboro in western N.C. He only sells at the N.C. State Fair in Raleigh in October, at the Village of Yesteryear pavilion, and at the TAPS pipe show at the Fairgrounds in April, not online, though he does a pipe repair business online. So far as I know, I am the only Forums member who owns a Mountain Laurel pipe. Speak up if you do!

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
About 50/50 briar/meer even though I own far more briars than meers followed by cobs (when in the pool) and finally an occasional morta.

Reactions: JOHN72