PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

KafkaStoleMyBike

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 10, 2020
Dallas, TX
Wait, you bout 1Q in a tin? I had no idea that it ever came in a tin. I mean, I know that a lot of tins that Lane sales as different things is merely 1Q with a different name. But, did the tin say 1Q on it?
Gold tin with this label that I probably bought it back in 2014/15. I was getting most of my stuff through CoJ's at the time (and still do), and noticed that I've only seen it bulk lately.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    742.2 KB · Views: 11

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I smoked a few ounces of 1Q some years ago. It's mild, sweet, and burns pretty well. I still have a fraction of an ounce in a little jar and it never gets dry. It seems to get more moist. When you sample around a little more, it may lose some of its luster, but if you enjoy it, don't hesitate. This is called fainting with damned praise.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Shanez - i have smoked a fair bit of AD and quite like it. Never tried 1Q. I thought 1q was more of a carmel hazlenut tobacco which I dont really get from AD. Do you fine them very similar in taste profile or just two tobaccos that fill a similar niche?
They are "similar enough" in profile as opposed to "very similar" and not just a similar niche. Also, 4 Noggins has a house blend fairly similar called "Three Blind Moose".

Without getting into exacting definitions, such as hazelnut, AD is more of a good, yet mild, tobacco with a nice layer of smooth, yet mild, candy bar on top of it.

Which exact candy bar? That will depend on the individual. I like to think somewhere in between Milkyway and Three Musketeers. Others will probably think something else. I don't really taste the fruit that some so. This is what I mean by the exact flavor will depend on the individual.

I see the word marshmallow has been used and that is a good term for this particular blend also.

So most people should get a nice mild tobacco and mild sweetness out of the blend.

1Q, on the other hand, while similar in flavor profile also has a weird bitterness or chemical flavor.

AD is mild, doesn't require thought/effort to enjoy, and is relaxing. 1Q not so much. I smoke mine without much drying, slow, and cool. It's also a good blend to learn retrohaling as it is mild and the flavor comes through well even if you don't get the retrohale right or even close to right.

If you like tAD and want something stronger try GH&C's Kentucky Nougat.

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
Please do yourself a favour and wait a few months to buy a shit ton of anything! Tastes change a lot in the first year or two.
This is very good advice, particularly for a new guy considering loading up on 1Q.
When I'm in the mood for something 1Qish I smoke Blue Note. Similar flavor profile but sucks much less.

NightShayde

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2021
Georgia
flatline2beatline.com
I prefer GH&C American Delight to 1Q by a large margin. Once I tried American Delight I never went back to 1Q. The AD is far less goopy and the tobacco comes across as much higher quality. There is a large price difference though.
The 1Q I received was extremely dry but dry. Burned very well as it is a shag cut.

NightShayde

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2021
Georgia
flatline2beatline.com
This is very good advice, particularly for a new guy considering loading up on 1Q.
When I'm in the mood for something 1Qish I smoke Blue Note. Similar flavor profile but sucks much less.
It was just a statement of joy not of fact. I will never buy more than 2oz of anything at a single time. In addition, it will be extremely rare that I buy the same blends more than once. I have 15 blends thus far in the first month of my journey and I would probably only buy 2 again. By the end of the year, my goal is to purchase 2oz of 45 more blends to have 100 by the end of the year.

NightShayde

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2021
Georgia
flatline2beatline.com
They are "similar enough" in profile as opposed to "very similar" and not just a similar niche. Also, 4 Noggins has a house blend fairly similar called "Three Blind Moose".

Without getting into exacting definitions, such as hazelnut, AD is more of a good, yet mild, tobacco with a nice layer of smooth, yet mild, candy bar on top of it.

Which exact candy bar? That will depend on the individual. I like to think somewhere in between Milkyway and Three Musketeers. Others will probably think something else. I don't really taste the fruit that some so. This is what I mean by the exact flavor will depend on the individual.

I see the word marshmallow has been used and that is a good term for this particular blend also.

So most people should get a nice mild tobacco and mild sweetness out of the blend.

1Q, on the other hand, while similar in flavor profile also has a weird bitterness or chemical flavor.

AD is mild, doesn't require thought/effort to enjoy, and is relaxing. 1Q not so much. I smoke mine without much drying, slow, and cool. It's also a good blend to learn retrohaling as it is mild and the flavor comes through well even if you don't get the retrohale right or even close to right.

If you like tAD and want something stronger try GH&C's Kentucky Nougat.
I do not taste any chemical in 1Q. Yet everyone has a different palate.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
It could also develop. Early on I didn't taste a lot of chemical on some of the aros because I didn't really know what I was tasting at a more component level. I started being able to pick it out after a year or two and sampling different flavored blends who did and did not use different chemicals.

Once a blend doesn't use it, you start noticing when one does more often.

Reactions: shanez

RainKing

Might Stick Around
May 24, 2020
I’m glad you’re enjoying it. Personally I don’t get much from it. If I want something sweet, it’s not my pick. If I want to taste the leaf, it’s not my pick. I just feel like it’s warm air, as if a cotton candy machine farted 20 feet away from you and some got in your mouth.

Sep 4, 2019
East TN
My buddies who I converted from cigar smokers to pipe smokers love it. Tastes like hot air to me. I keep some around to convert more to the borg. Never smoke it myself.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
How much mass constitutes the “shit ton” of which you speak?

I still like the stuff once in a while, but I‘d suggest waiting until you have several favorites before buying a shit ton of anything. ;)

Reactions: Fiddlepiper
Status
Not open for further replies.