PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Watching EGR and Orson Wells in the Stranger with SG Choc Flake in the same Legend. Trying to figure out what pipe EGR is smoking.
I have spent a bit of time trying to figure it out. I don't think the answer is knowable. The same goes for the pipes Bernard Lee smoked when he played "M" in the James Bond movies.

In real life, Robinson had an eclectic mix of pipes in his collection, many are unknown by brand. In the case of this movie, the pipe was likely provided by the studio.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
That’s interesting, I was thinking it might have been horn of some nature. If anyone gets the chance watch the movie, I could swear that he was moving the pipe at one point to show it off to the audience, it seemed very deliberate, that’s why I was so intrigued. Great film by the way.
The breaking of the pipe, and taping it back together were done to point out aspects of Robinson's character: anger, thrift, and love of that particular pipe.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
Just finished some St James Mayors Flake in a Marcus, that’s a nice VaPer. I only got a sample and I’ll up the order next time.
I’m packing the last of the 1792 that I mixed with a pinch of Kendal medium cut Lat just over a week ago. It’s been pressed between some heavy books and smells amazing. It’s going in a meer lined Lacroix two star St Claude, the chap I brought this off said it was early 60’s. I still have a little 1792 left and I might give it the same treatment if this tastes as good as it smells. image.jpg

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
The breaking of the pipe, and taping it back together were done to point out aspects of Robinson's character: anger, thrift, and love of that particular pipe.

Ok now I’m searching for a auto/biography of the man. He dominates the screen, you don’t see that sort of gravity much anymore. Orson Wells too, the film was brilliantly cast.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Ok now I’m searching for a auto/biography of the man. He dominates the screen, you don’t see that sort of gravity much anymore. Orson Wells too, the film was brilliantly cast.

Robinson was working on his autobiography when he passed away, but his friend finished and published the book. If you look hard, you can find it at a reasonable price. The title is All My Yesterdays: An Autobiography.

JimK

Lifer
Feb 11, 2021
Afternoon pipe featuring a half-n-half mix of GH Glengarry Flake ('10) with PS Lux Bullseye Flake ('17) which were the end dregs of two bags, in an Upshall Bulldog sandblast with smooth rim size 5. The mix works well - each seems to cancel the shortcoming of the other resulting in a smooth, rich, tasty smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.