PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Been listening to "Pet Sounds" alot............. I own the mono LP, but I've been digging the stereo version on YouTube, via headphones.......... Love It!..........
Great album, and a copy of it in mono is pretty wild! But yeah, stereo is an experience unto itself.

I think you'd really dig the album "Would You Believe?" by Billy Nicholls. Andrew Loog Oldham's brainchild, considered the British response to Pet Sounds.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Royal Scam is close to as good. But different mood, diverging from the cool splendor of Aja. I wore both out, filling in the gaps with the other albums. Did you know their perfectionistic ways had them hiring different lead guitarists for different songs?
I agree. Royal Scam is probably their most guitar oriented album and definitely great. Kid Charlemagne alone makes it a standout. Larry Carlton’s solos are melodic, rhythmic and sophisticated while sounding effortless. A benchmark.

Yeah, so many great players over the years (Larry Carlton, Jay Graydon, Dean Parks, Mark Knopfler, Rick Derringer, Skunk Baxter to name a few). The session guys considered it a huge achievement to end up on a SD album.

Donald often said that Steely Dan wasn’t a band as much as it was a concept.
In the end it’s enduringly captivating music.

Now playing Steely Dan - The Royal Scam.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
That Becker was an addict was not his fault, but hardly a good lifestyle choice. Using diminishes one across all spectrums. Addicts live in the limbic brain featuring unregulated instinct and emotion, relying on the drug to surmount difficulties rather than struggling to develop maturity.

I suppose he was sober and clean when he had to be, but an addict that doesn't use for a time is only without the primary interference of the substance, but meanwhile has to cope with the accreted damage.

They say he had a bad childhood. Well, so did I and many other addicts, but after living in the ongoing destruction, the lucky get out while the unlucky die.

Even so he was very talented and enjoyed a hive mind with Donald like that that the Coen Brothers have. What a brilliant team they were to deliver their signature sound, LA cool!

Last edited:

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Great album, and a copy of it in mono is pretty wild! But yeah, stereo is an experience unto itself.

I think you'd really dig the album "Would You Believe?" by Billy Nicholls. Andrew Loog Oldham's brainchild, considered the British response to Pet Sounds.
Thanks for that!.............. I've never heard this before and just gave a listen via Youtube. Good stuff!
I can definitely hear the Pet Sounds influence. Reminds me a bit of another favorite, "Face to Face", by the Kinks......... I absolutely adore that 1966-67 Brit-rock sound........ nothing quite like it!......... bdw

Reactions: Servant King

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Thanks for that!.............. I've never heard this before and just gave a listen via Youtube. Good stuff!
I can definitely hear the Pet Sounds influence. Reminds me a bit of another favorite, "Face to Face", by the Kinks......... I absolutely adore that 1966-67 Brit-rock sound........ nothing quite like it!......... bdw
That era of '66-'69 is the cream of the crop. Then prog rock came along and the train got derailed! I kid...I enjoy prog from time to time (being a keyboardist myself, it's ostensibly mandatory).

Listening to the Billy Nicholls LP currently. That lead guitar line on "Girl From New York" just melts my face into a frothy goo. Enjoy!

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
That era of '66-'69 is the cream of the crop. Then prog rock came along and the train got derailed! I kid...I enjoy prog from time to time (being a keyboardist myself, it's ostensibly mandatory).

Listening to the Billy Nicholls LP currently. That lead guitar line on "Girl From New York" just melts my face into a frothy goo. Enjoy!
MAXIMUM FUUUUUUUUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ?

• Haha
Reactions: Servant King
Status
Not open for further replies.