PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
FYI from manufacturer just to clarify: Simichrome is specially-formulated using the finest micron particle size abrasive of any polish available combined with special cleaning agents. Because the abrasive particles are so fine, Simichrome will not harm uncoated metals surfaces.
Right. It's weird stuff. The particulate is so fine that when you tap on the tube it vibrates. Do a search to read up on it.

But Simichrome smells like axel grease and shit. It actually smells just like a very old oxidized stem that has been setting in a fishing tackle box for a few years, right next to the pack of catfish bait you forgot you even had.

I use a jeweler's cloth. It's not great for cleaning an oxidized stem, but it works for me to keep the polish high on the stems after each use, preventing oxidation. But, I will also use a touch of Renaissance Wax (which doesn't smell great either, but the smell dissipates quickly) on my pipes after a deep clean.
But, after rinsing with water, the jeweler's cloth does a great job of bringing back a shine to my stems, especially to get the part at the bit that goes in my mouth shiny again. Just a tad bit of elbow grease.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
If the stem is made from high grade German Vulcanite my Obidisian stem oil works great. Just wipe a little on let it set a while rub it off and bang all shiny.
If the stems are the old sulphur laden ones, then you work like a dog for as long as you own the pipe. I have not bought a stem like that for well over a decade. I am lazy, I don't have a rouge wheel but I can pull chunks of rouge out of my ass on demand.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
If the stem is made from high grade German Vulcanite my Obidisian stem oil works great. Just wipe a little on let it set a while rub it off and bang all shiny.
If the stems are the old sulphur laden ones, then you work like a dog for as long as you own the pipe. I have not bought a stem like that for well over a decade. I am lazy, I don't have a rouge wheel but I can pull chunks of rouge out of my ass on demand.
Harris,
@cosmicfolklore uses lots of rouge.. maybe you should send some his way?

Reactions: ofafeather
Status
Not open for further replies.