PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Thanks @BROBS That’s a big help. I have a pre-republic Killarney that I had to sand the rim on. I may sand the whole thing and restain it. I also have a prerepublic Sterling that I sanded the rim on. This one doesn’t stand out as much as the Killarney but a little more than I expected. I’ll post pics in a bit.

Reactions: BROBS

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
4B08A5B1-095A-4B09-9314-C43A12A4B2DE.jpegDE6A8941-F97E-415D-BD22-77D8375C6CE7.jpeg561D56E9-636A-4C01-AD8A-FE080BE72226.jpegE81D558F-1BF2-4ACE-A65E-F5EEC1F0808F.jpeg
It’s hard to tell exactly from the pics but the rims are lighter than the bodies after sanding and waxing. The Killarney was my grandfather’s pipe. It has a removable stinger. The Sterling looks like it might have had a stinger because there is a well but it’s not a system pipe. Color suggestions for these?

Reactions: danimalia

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
View attachment 67050View attachment 67051View attachment 67052View attachment 67053
It’s hard to tell exactly from the pics but the rims are lighter than the bodies after sanding and waxing. The Killarney was my grandfather’s pipe. It has a removable stinger. The Sterling looks like it might have had a stinger because there is a well but it’s not a system pipe. Color suggestions for these?
Is the “stinger” a tube?

that top one is a Killarney? Does it have a replacement stem? Does it have any reddish hue left?

the Sterling: does it have a red hue to it at all? If not the light brown might help the rim. You can always start lighter and add coats or switch to a darker stain after if it’s still too light. You may need to lightly sand the rim to get it to accept the stain.. also flame the stain lightly between coats.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
For the Killarney I would try a few drops of red in the light brown ... perhaps the medium brown. (Maybe even over top)

sometimes I would experiment the color a bit on a sacrificial junk pipe that I sanded bare.

Reactions: ofafeather

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
s the “stinger” a tube?
No, it’s an actual stinger. The stem is original makes with a K. The stamping is Killarney a Peterson product. They made some with stingers and the research of the Sterlings shows they also had stingers. Probably for the American market. There is a post on Reborn pipes of a pre repub Sterling with a stinger.
that top one is a Killarney?
Yes. The one on top. The hue is not nearly as red as the modern Killarney but it’s possible that there is some reddish time in there. It might be more of a mahogany.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
No, it’s an actual stinger. The stem is original makes with a K. The stamping is Killarney a Peterson product. They made some with stingers and the research of the Sterlings shows they also had stingers. Probably for the American market. There is a post on Reborn pipes of a pre repub Sterling with a stinger.

Yes. The one on top. The hue is not nearly as red as the modern Killarney but it’s possible that there is some reddish time in there. It might be more of a mahogany.
Interesting. I’ve never got one with the stinger in it but a few have had a Dunhill inner tube type tube in them.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Interesting. I’ve never got one with the stinger in it but a few have had a Dunhill inner tube type tube in them.
I have one like that, too. Was also my grandfather’s. A Deluxe straight pot shape. Can’t remember the shape number. That one also has a bone chimney so they were testing everything!

The stinger is press fit with a split section at the top that fits into the tenon so it’s easy to remove. I imagine that a lot of them disappeared.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I have one like that, too. Was also my grandfather’s. A Deluxe straight pot shape. Can’t remember the shape number. That one also has a bone chimney so they were testing everything!

The stinger is press fit with a split section at the top that fits into the tenon so it’s easy to remove. I imagine that a lot of them disappeared.
Yup even on unsmoked pipes I’ve got they must have been yanked out

Mr_houston

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2020
Texas
That looks really nice. I like the new color, and you can see the grain better.

There have been pipes that I’ve topped where the top looked stark in its shape afterwards or too sharp on its edges. You might consider rounding the chamber edge or even giving it a 45 degree slant like this.

9469EE39-1E7B-4AB8-9372-BF5C586C3953.jpeg

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
You might consider rounding the chamber edge or even giving it a 45 degree slant like this.
Thanks! I’m pretty happy with the way this one came out. I have a Savinelli millennium pipe that I topped and ended up chamfering, mostly because the bowl seemed a bit out of round and the rim blackening was extensive and the chamfer worked well. The one you shared looks great!

Status
Not open for further replies.