PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I like the shape but have always shied away from such for that very reason.
it's not as hard as you'd think. You will realize though that sound is part of of the lighting process you just never noticed until you didn't rely on visuals as much. Seriously at least that's been my experience. Actually didn't really even notice till I tried to light my forward cant with headphones on.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
You see with your ears?? ? Amazing...
you kind of do when lighting a pipe. There are certain sounds you don't really think about that tell you how the light is going if that spot needs more flame. And seriously never once did I think it was an important part of smoking until I was deprived of both the visual confirmation (forward cant) and aural confirmation (earbuds)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
you kind of do when lighting a pipe. There are certain sounds you don't really think about that tell you how the light is going if that spot needs more flame. And seriously never once did I think it was an important part of smoking until I was deprived of both the visual confirmation (forward cant) and aural confirmation (earbuds)
I just watch to see which parts are glowing the most.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
of course that helps but you can also hear how they're doing when you run a match over the spot. There is a certain perfect sizzle rate and volume. Varies slightly from blend to blend but generally the sweet spot is actually pretty clear.
Okay, now I'm really thinking you are a bat. I just lit mine and the only thing I heard was the strike of the lighter.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Two bats are hanging upside down from a tree branch, smoking their pipes but awfully hungry. They haven't had anything to eat for hours, maybe even days and they desperately want blood. So, one of them puts his pipe away and flies off in search of nourishment.

A few moments later he comes back, completely soaked in blood.

"Whoa!" says the other, "where did you find so much blood??"

"Do you see that big building looming in that direction?" says the bloody one.

"Yeah."

"Well, I didn't."

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Hmm, I think they'd probably smoke this kind of pipe:

002-029-58981.7013.jpg

Reactions: lelik and brian64
Status
Not open for further replies.