New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
The pipe club in my area has been radio silent for a year now and I doubt the Governor will ease up restrictions by April for the annual pipe show. One of the reasons I joined this forum. I guess Zoom or Teams is ok but I perfer human interaction.
I just looked for TAPS show information a week or two ago and was disappointed to see no communication at all on anything (assuming that's the show you are referring to). I was wondering if that club was still having meetings at all as they used to publicly post it.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I just looked for TAPS show information a week or two ago and was disappointed to see no communication at all on anything (assuming that's the show you are referring to). I was wondering if that club was still having meetings at all as they used to publicly post it.
The dates on the site are from last year. No updates since Feb 2020. I have emailed multiple times throughout the year with no response. I'm not holding my breath on the pipe show. A shame really.

KafkaStoleMyBike

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 10, 2020
Dallas, TX
We use Zoom all the time for work, and it pains me to use it on my own time. That being said, we did have a Zoom trivia night last week and had a lot of fun. Nowhere near our usual pub trivia fun, but I still got to drink and get told by my wife that I’m wrong....

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I run meetings on Zoom many times a week. Nary a problem. But I don't like their sharing info with other companies, though even that's no biggie.

Reactions: BROBS

Fiddlepiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 22, 2020
Scotland
www.danielthorpemusic.com
I use a combination of zoom, teams and google meet for at least 5hrs a day. I had to move my entire working life online. They all have their pros and cons but with basic ideas of internet security ie passwords to join I’ve not had any issues.

They have also been the only way my mother has seen my son since he was born in November so I’m very thankful for the technology.

Virtual pipe meets would just an extension of here perhaps but with less typing and more talking.

Reactions: BROBS

redz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2021
Gaithersburg, MD
Not the ideal situation, but we must adapt and do the best we can until things go back to "normal". Online interaction via video meetings is better than no interaction at all, especially under certain circumstances. It can help the community and family members stay connected during these troubled times.

Reactions: BROBS and jpmcwjr

autumnfog

Lifer
Jul 22, 2018
Sweden
Don't like the idea of being forced into social media use, having an I-phone or filming oneself.

It's getting quite crazy here in Sweden.
We replace more and more of societal functions, payments, transports etc with apps everyday.
And no one seems to question it.
It's not that I'm against technology per se, but there is a lack of discussion, and reason for that matter.
We just jump into everything new head first.

Fiddlepiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 22, 2020
Scotland
www.danielthorpemusic.com
Don't like the idea of being forced into social media use, having an I-phone or filming oneself.

It's getting quite crazy here in Sweden.
We replace more and more of societal functions, payments, transports etc with apps everyday.
And no one seems to question it.
It's not that I'm against technology per se, but there is a lack of discussion, and reason for that matter.
We just jump into everything new head first.
I always see the use of newer technology as an augmentation to what we currently have. Does using video conferencing to see family replace real face to face contact? No, but as a tool to be used when that isn’t possible it does allow for a more engaging exchange IMO.

Where my distrust/lamentation of technology comes is when real jobs are replaced with an app and a call centre. May seem contrary but I definitely realise you can’t have it all ways.

redz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2021
Gaithersburg, MD
At first I thought this was a random topic until I found out that there is actually a Virtual Pipe Club that does Zoom meetings, and streams live on Facebook and YouTube as well. It seems as though there is a quite large member base. I've been watching some of the recently past club meetings on YouTube and they are quite entertaining and have some good guest speakers.