PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pondfisher

Might Stick Around
Dec 23, 2019
East Lansing, MI
So had a strange thing happen to me this morning. Woke up and went to brush my teeth. Took some water into my mouth to rinse and damn if could not spit..the water just sort of fell out of my mouth.

One visit to the local Urgent Care and Emergency room later and I find that I have something called Bell's Palsy. It is caused by a viral infection that inflames a specific nerve that controls facial muscles.

The right side of my face is numb and I am unable to blink my right eye. Fun stuff!!

I do feel lucky that I did not have a stroke but not the best start to my Sunday!

Anyone have any experience with this ailment?

Gotta get an eyepatch so I got the whole pirate look down pat!

Beard? Check! Eyepatch? Check! Knowing half smirk? Check!

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
A really good friend of mine developed Bell’s, it affected the left side of his face.

After multiple attempts with numerous doctors to remedy it and after a year of having it he told me he was thinking of having plastic surgery.

I immediately knew what I had to do.

I changed his name in my phone from Bill to Zsa Zsa Gabor.

I hope you get it sorted.

lightxmyfire

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2019
DMV Area
I had a very mild case of this in my early college years. It was a pin's and needles tingling numbness on one side of my face up to my ear. It lasted just over a year and then went away. Haven't dealt with it again since.

Hoping you have the same short term experience with it!

KafkaStoleMyBike

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 10, 2020
Dallas, TX
Get well soon!

Most cases of Bell’s Palsy clear up once the localized issue affecting the facial nerve clears up (eg, infection, cyst). The facial nerve exits the skull from a tiny hole behind your ear on each side, and provides for all the muscles of movement for the face, so a relatively small issue can paralyze one entire side of your face. Sensory innervation to the face is provided by another cranial nerve coming from other spots around the skull, so loss of feeling/tingling can come and go and can be more variable.

Wishing you a quick recovery!

Back in the late 90’s I forged out a sterling silver and copper bikini that a local model was going to model for us in a promotion for a local charity. Her boyfriend called the morning that she was supposed to meet with a photographer and said that her face was paralyzed. We just thought that she got cold feet, but turned out she had bell palsy.
she is fine now, but for a beautiful young woman she had to spend a few years with a funny look on her face.

Status
Not open for further replies.