Are You Using Vintage Pipe Racks and Humidors?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I use older racks. I have two 36 hole and one 24 hole. I have a modern 18 hole but that’s history when I find another 36 hole.

The advantage of collecting older pipes is that they fit in the older racks.

My new artisan pipes didn’t fit in the racks so I sold the pipes. ?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Love a nice decorative stand but i don’t think I’d steer away from what I do presently... I have a “Pipe Drawer” ...and in this drawer is your typical, every day kitchen, wooden Spoon, Fork and Knife insert.
7838E778-DAF2-4303-A6E4-5E75435953E7.jpeg
I open the drawer, select a pipe and go.

It has the dual benefit of safe keeping and allows me to see the side profile of each pipe rather than look into blackened chambers.

Follow me... for more crafty ideas. ??☝️

Fiddlepiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 22, 2020
Scotland
www.danielthorpemusic.com
Love a nice decorative stand but i don’t think I’d steer away from what I do presently... I have a “Pipe Drawer” ...and in this drawer is your typical, every day kitchen, wooden Spoon, Fork and Knife insert.
View attachment 64858
I open the drawer, select a pipe and go.

It has the dual benefit of safe keeping and allows me to see the side profile of each pipe rather than look into blackened chambers.

Follow me... for more crafty ideas. ??☝️
YES! Genius.
I’ve been trying to think of neat, contained ways to store my pipes and I think you’ve just solved it for me. As much as I’d love an old cabinet for the aesthetic your way will work perfectly for my small but well formed pipe collection.
Thanks OP for bringing this up and thanks @Grangerous. ?

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I have four ceramic or stoneware tobacco humidors and one glass one that came with an 8-Pipe rack. Except for the small ceramic one my wife gave me for Christmas, I have replaced all the seals on the estate jars and they will all keep the tobacco moist and smokeable for six to eight weeks.

I use them for the blends I decide are going to be in my daily smoking rotation and not for long term storage or aging.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I do have one of the vintage racks that is rectangular and holds pipes on both sides.

The issue I found with those with holes is many of my pipes won’t fit. I cut gaps in the holes, which helps. But some pipes still won’t fit.

I find the same here. Like portion sizes at restaurants, pipe sizes have increased substantially since those racks were made. I spoke with a tobacconist the other day and he disagreed. I tepli “Seriously, you are saying the pipes of the 50s and 60s have the same bowl and stem sizes as today?“. To which he replied, “No, pipes today are much bigger!”

it is the nature of our society.

telescopes

I have four ceramic or stoneware tobacco humidors and one glass one that came with an 8-Pipe rack. Except for the small ceramic one my wife gave me for Christmas, I have replaced all the seals on the estate jars and they will all keep the tobacco moist and smokeable for six to eight weeks.

I use them for the blends I decide are going to be in my daily smoking rotation and not for long term storage or aging.
I found seals for canning hares work great. I bout some from Ace Hardware.

stokesdale

Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
This is an old antique one I just purchased from an au in Nantucket. It hasn’t even arrived yet. There is a tambour door that rolls up from the bottom.

View attachment 64855
Umm, I don't use pipe racks, never have although some can be very attractive, such as this one is...so great find! That said, I know you don't have it in your possession yet, but aren't the pipes upside down in it? I mean, call me crazy, but it seems like they should go the other way...is this a Nantucket thing or something?

telescopes

I agree. Pipes in a drawer. I get it. But, really, no, I don't get it. We go through this life but once. We average about 840 months. Keeping pipes in drawers? Why. When we depart this earth, someone else will simply toss the drawer and the pipes will go out the door. They need to breathe, be seen, and live in open spaces. Each one is a story and each story is a moment in a long string of moments that should count for something and not be packed away or hidden out of sight. Pipe racks and the old glass humidors, for me anyway, celebrate all that I am and all that came before me. The people who I care about most see these pipes when they see me. They smell these tobaccos when they visit with me in my office. Long after I am gone from this earth, people will remember at least three things; he lived, he was a friend, and he smoked a pipe. Yes, there are other things I would want to be remembered by, but I can live with those three.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Zack Miller

Dec 13, 2020
Fort Worth, Texas
Umm, I don't use pipe racks, never have although some can be very attractive, such as this one is...so great find! That said, I know you don't have it in your possession yet, but aren't the pipes upside down in it? I mean, call me crazy, but it seems like they should go the other way...is this a Nantucket thing or something?
They looked upside down to me.

Reactions: stokesdale
Status
Not open for further replies.