Are You Using Vintage Pipe Racks and Humidors?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I know there are better ways to store pipes and tobacco. I understand that my vintage and antique humidors really aren't the best for storing tobacco for regular use. I wouldn't have it any other way. For me, the using the older humidors and pipe racks connects me to heritage and celebrates a continuity and continuation of a way of life that would otherwise be lost.

Do you use your vintage pipe accessories?

I picked up my first pipe rack in the 80s at a swap meet during a Black Powder Rendezvous in Friendship, Indiana. Rocky Top Tennessee was playing in the background as I made the purchase - maybe $10, if that. The lid is a bit warped now and I use a rubber band to help seal it to the jar, but it has stored tobacco (for me) nearly 40 years and who knows for others for so much longer. Tobacco that is stored in the jar tends to dry out a bit too fast. I've replaced the little stone found under the lid with a circular sponge holder, and I've stained it many times over the years, but I wouldn't stop using it no matter what. I usually place my tobacco that needs to dry out a bit in that jar.

I have others - one my wife bought me back in 97 in Durango, Colorado, across from the train station, for our anniversary. It has its problems as well - she chipped the lid and jar moving it last year - I fixed it and retouched it up.
IMG_3450.jpeg

My current storage area above my desk.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I have four vintage racks. Three with jars with good seals and Aztec buttons. I use them and the jars for scraps and yard working tobacco. The fourth has a wooden humidor that I use to store sampling pipes (two clays and four MM Eatons).

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I don't do vintage. All my racks are made from Purple Heart, Tulipwood and Ivory. Each rack has Emeralds, Sapphires, and Rubies set into the sides. On the top of the rack it is covered in 2 kt D Flawless round DIamonds. Each rack holds 36 pipes and I charge 100.00 just to look at them. I am accepting new viewings beginning 3 weeks from today.
I pass out paper cups so when you drool you can spit into something. Yes they are that amazing. They were all made buy one guy, Barney Feif.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I have several vintage pipe stands with jars, lids, and those little clay humidifier discs.

The jars make great storage for tools, filters, flints, polishing pads, paragon wax, etc., but I wouldn’t put tobacco in the jars.

The stands still hold pipes so they are still useful to me and I enjoy the vintage looks. One belonged to my great grandfather and another to my wife’s father. The others are junk shop finds that followed me home and were adopted.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
I have one vintage pipe rack and several new ones. I use them all and if things keep progressing with my
therapist PAD & TAD I may need more. :oops::oops::oops::oops:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I gave up racks in favor of padded mats on closet shelves and only use Mason jars for tobacco.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I have no idea why anyone would store tobacco in anything other than the best device, jars. Bad habits are best let go. Nostalgia is irrelevant.

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
Yes. I have a pipe rack that holds six pipes in the middle. To the right of it is an ashtray with a cork knocker in the middle. To the left is a glass tobacco bowl with a wooden lid that has an Aztec stone under it. All three attached to a wooden base. I use all three for their intended purposes.

Mr_houston

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2020
Texas
I do have one of the vintage racks that is rectangular and holds pipes on both sides.

The issue I found with those with holes is many of my pipes won’t fit. I cut gaps in the holes, which helps. But some pipes still won’t fit.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I do have one of the vintage racks that is rectangular and holds pipes on both sides.

The issue I found with those with holes is many of my pipes won’t fit. I cut gaps in the holes, which helps. But some pipes still won’t fit.
Yes, the racks that were pumped out prior to the late 60's were made for the reasonable sized pipes of the day... Not the behemoth sized pipes that became popular afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.