PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
The Rabbit Air in my home office pretty much dispatches any smell whatsoever... it's nearly instantaneous. My wife has walked in 5 minutes after I've finished a bowl and doesn't comment. I've even asked her about the smell, and she says she doesn't smell anything. And she would be the first to comment if she did smell the smoke odor...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Landlords are always a problem. Landlords who are also family members, more so. Landlords, familial or otherwise, who get physical, even more so. I think you've done well to simply arrange your smoking elsewhere, and more important, I assume you have a plan to eventually have a residence where you are more in control. If the guy's got a violence problem, get the hell out. You are more likely to get offed by a family member than by a stranger. Cold, but true.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Back after I graduated high school, and while living with my parents, I was given a sort of tacit permission to smoke in my bedroom. Kind of a “we know you do it but it’s not really causing an issue so we can’t say much.” There were two windows on perpendicular walls, so if I cracked them there was decent airflow and the smoke wouldn’t reach the rest of the house. Both my parents smoked, but kept it to the garage

I moved out, and came to visit my mom while she was fixing up the house to sell. She took me up to my old bedroom where she was painting the ceiling. She was halfway done. One half was white as snow, but the other half was a nasty, drippy-looking, phlgemy yellow. It took her three coats of paint to cover it.

My first apartment on my own I smoked in. It was a dump when I moved in, and the landlord was planning on a refurbishment after I moved out, so he didn’t mind. As long as I didn’t punch holes in the walls.

Now that my girlfriend and I own our house, we don’t smoke inside. It just makes things gross, eventually.

When you’re younger, it’s easy to forget-or not realize-the cost of owning a house and that smoking inside, while it’s a choice you get to make if you own the place, can degrade things and be a cost down the road if you ever have to sell.