PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My Meer experience is limited to one estate Meer sent me by the late great fish'n'banjo, so I don't know what the relationship between smoking them hot and coloration is. My guess is, not much. However, maybe some heavy puffer hot smokers who smoke some Meers can tell us how their coloration is progressing and if they've noticed any problems. I'd say at least half the membership owns a Meer or more, and probably a quarter of us smoke a little too hot (puff a lot, rather than sipping). Any problems with your Meers coloration guys?

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
The simple answer is that if you are asking the question the pipe is too hot. Period.

There is nothing good that results from smoking hot. If the point is to incinerate tobacco you can toss the tin, tub, bag or pouch into a wood stove and light it with a blowtorch. Hell, toss the pipe, pipe stand and the tamper in while you’re at it.

The pipe almost certainly suffers as a result of smoking too hot and might actually get damaged - charred, checkered or split, burnt rim, scorched draft hole, etc., but nothing compared to what is happening to the soft tissues in your mouth, tongue and palate. Plus the tobacco will taste like shit anyway.

I’m not trying to be a wise guy or to bash your question - it’s a reasonable question to ask - but the real answer is excessively hot smoking is just bad. For the pipe, for the tobacco and for your own body and enjoyment.

You could probably break or ruin any pipe if you try hard enough from making it glow cherry red except maybe a clay pipe. But in reality you will have passed the threshold of smoking the pipe and tobacco into merely destroying both by fire.

I have occasionally gotten too enthusiastic and the pipe has been too damn hot to hold at which point I realize the taste is approaching charred wood and cigarette ash and I haven’t been tasting much except pain of the fried steamed tongue and that nagging feeling that something isn’t quite right.

That usually happens when I’m all riled up, angry and distracted - which is a terrible time to smoke a pipe anyway. YMMV.

So, for whatever it’s worth, I would say if you think you are smoking too hot and are concerned about whether you’re damaging the pipe, the answer is probably yes but the pipe can likely take more abuse than your mouth and you’re past the enjoyment threshold anyway, so put the pipe down for awhile.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I don't know about the Meer but your tongue will fry. I've been smoking a Meer 3 times per day for the past month and haven't had an issue with it getting hot. Perhaps on a couple of occasions. I set it down and let it cool off if it gets hot at all. It is coloring just fine.

View attachment 62204
Kinda reminds me of an alien in a hoodie. I like it.

finnian3

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 12, 2015
Illinois
Too hot, I think not. Poor quality meers can crack under the heat but there are many variables to a hot bowl. The color change on a meerschaum is mainly due to a few things. First is going to be beeswax. A well treated meer may have a coat of beeswax on it which adds color. Over time. one is supposed to treat the pipes with beeswax to help build color.
Another factor is tar from the tobacco. The oils and tars get absorbed into the pipe and slowly reach the surface where they interact with the wax. This can give you incredible colors like deep reds.

The last factor in terms of color is going to be dirty hands. Oily and dirty hands can affect the color of your pipe.

Reactions: BROBS

Dan-o$

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2021
Gardnerville, Nevada
The simple answer is that if you are asking the question the pipe is too hot. Period.

There is nothing good that results from smoking hot. If the point is to incinerate tobacco you can toss the tin, tub, bag or pouch into a wood stove and light it with a blowtorch. Hell, toss the pipe, pipe stand and the tamper in while you’re at it.

The pipe almost certainly suffers as a result of smoking too hot and might actually get damaged - charred, checkered or split, burnt rim, scorched draft hole, etc., but nothing compared to what is happening to the soft tissues in your mouth, tongue and palate. Plus the tobacco will taste like shit anyway.

I’m not trying to be a wise guy or to bash your question - it’s a reasonable question to ask - but the real answer is excessively hot smoking is just bad. For the pipe, for the tobacco and for your own body and enjoyment.

You could probably break or ruin any pipe if you try hard enough from making it glow cherry red except maybe a clay pipe. But in reality you will have passed the threshold of smoking the pipe and tobacco into merely destroying both by fire.

I have occasionally gotten too enthusiastic and the pipe has been too damn hot to hold at which point I realize the taste is approaching charred wood and cigarette ash and I haven’t been tasting much except pain of the fried steamed tongue and that nagging feeling that something isn’t quite right.

That usually happens when I’m all riled up, angry and distracted - which is a terrible time to smoke a pipe anyway. YMMV.

So, for whatever it’s worth, I would say if you think you are smoking too hot and are concerned about whether you’re damaging the pipe, the answer is probably yes but the pipe can likely take more abuse than your mouth and you’re past the enjoyment threshold anyway, so put the pipe down for awhile.
Was really just testin the Meers durability which of course one test of it's structural integrity would be to expose it to a hot situation. Would not be interested in a pipe that did not "stand upzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" But thanks!

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Was really just testin the Meers durability which of course one test of it's structural integrity would be to expose it to a hot situation. Would not be interested in a pipe that did not "stand upzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" But thanks!
No worries, I do think they are pretty durable. I used to wonder if meers were uber fragile myself but having seen some exquisitely colored and ancient meers right here on this forum I’ve concluded they must be pretty solid or they wouldn’t have been around for a century and colored up so beautifully. Of course if dropped out of an airplane onto concrete they’ll break so would every other type of pipe too, lol. I just worried about breaking one from slightly careless use but that doesn’t bother me anymore. Mine have proven just as durable as any other material and I typically don’t drop them or knock them off the table very often, he says knocking furiously on wood....

Status
Not open for further replies.