PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
My understanding is that a more alkaline bite is felt towards the back and sides of mouth, where an acidic bite is towards the front of the mouth and tip/top of tongue.

i agree with the suggestions of trying a cob, either with or without filters - you can some a filtered cob without a filter too btw, in fact that is my preference.

follow your tongue bro. If it is telling you that lane limited, or similar style blends aren’t working then don’t go there. I’m not much of an English smoker these days but it seems like you a good direction to try. I’d also recommend trying a mild OTC burley based blend like some which have been recommended already.

another simple and mild burley (without preservatives) is D&R Two Timer. I sometimes used this to water down Virginia blends that bit me in the past to get an idea of pH balance of a smoke that suited my mouth.

hang in there, enjoy the ride, put your pipe down if it hurts and pick it up again a bit later.

a random thought...cut off a piece of cigar and try it in your pipe. Lol it will ghost the crap out of it, but it would be one quick way to see if it’s the pipe or your technique that’s causing you grief as opposed to just the blends so far

viera92

Lurker
Sep 26, 2013
Mexico
I like Billy Budd Blonde. The cigar comes through nicely. I also have 3 MM cobs and enjoy them very much.
Strange about the Paypal... That's what I use at Smokingpipes.
The message I get is with the specific card I use, maybe they have some kind of restriction with MasterCard
If it is telling you that lane limited, or similar style blends aren’t working then don’t go there.
Yeah I want to try other things but as I read other posts, seems like people keep recommending aromatics for some reason haha

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
@viera92 did you place an order already at 4Noggins?

4Noggins doesn’t seem to be doing so go at the moment, so people are steering clear.

The MM Dagner Cob is really nice! ?

Aristocob

Cup O’ Joes

Smokingpipes

The Pipe Nook

My Cobs below! :)

2A7207AC-9C55-4091-AF8A-1E36ADEBAF1B.jpeg

Last edited:

viera92

Lurker
Sep 26, 2013
Mexico
@viera92 did you place an order already at 4Noggins?
I canceled my pipesandcigars order and managed to get another card (visa) to buy from smoking pipes.
I ordered 4 different types of tobacco to try, only 1oz in case I don't like them.

I bought a Missouri Pride Straight

Also

1. Luxury Twist Flake as my virginia, seems like it has some kind of topping that didn't realize untill the order was already palced. Not sure why its not called aromatic if it has a topping, was looking for cero additives.

2. Luxury Navy Flake as a vaper. (Just because Orliks golden flake is not available in bulk)

3. McBaren HH Old Dark Fired Ready Rubbed as my burley

and

4. Arango Balkan Supreme as my English/Balkan. Read that frog morton is a good english starter but again the bulk problem, also I don't want any "english aromatic" mixture.

Didn't buy billy budd because all the "room note strength" scared me a bit and it was already getting outside my budget.
Also the other recommendations I got on this post were not sold as bulk so had to go with those ones.

Hope with this 4 different types I can now have a broader experience with my pipe and see if its enjoyable for me or not. I'm really exited about my purchase, I hope my high expectations don't ruin the experience.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
@viera92

Expectations and Lack of Patience, are two very deadly things to the Pipe Smoker. :LOL:

Since Tongue Bite is the Main Objective here, lower your Expectations and make sure you have a lot of Patience for this journey!

1. Tongue Bite is the main Focal Point, so you want to slow down and keep on target here.

2. All you should be doing at this point time is getting a decent pipe, which doesn’t mean it needs to be expensive, as pointed out, Missouri Meerschaum are good!

3. Next, you should just be focusing on simple, basic/straight blends, nothing exotic. Like a simple Virginia or Burley as an example, of course either one can be rough, just need to get a mellow one, but for the most part there are a lot of Virginias and Burleys that are mild.

4. Get the Mechanics of Pipe Smoking down next. Packing, lighting, after first light tamp, relight, sipping/cadence etc., and let’s not forget cleaning and dry time.

After you have gone down this road and beaten the Tongue Bite, next go out and sample the world of tobaccos! ?

viera92

Lurker
Sep 26, 2013
Mexico
Toppings and Casings don’t make for an Aromatic.

Jeremy Reeves Talks Casing vs. Topping.

Really interesting, thank you. Not sure if Twist flake have toppinr or casing. Already read also that some people experience some bite with that specific blend.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
@viera92

Be sure to look back over my last reply, I was editing it.

Also, here’s the thing you always have to remember, that if at anytime in pipe smoking, there were some flavors you enjoyed, then hang in there, because sometimes it takes time to find your way, as to what is you.

I use to really love English blends, but after around 3 months with various English blends, I am now finding my way with Vapers, I’ve really found love for them, and it was a 3 month journey to arrive at.

Also, depending on your Tongue, taste(s), awareness, etc., it takes years for some people to start picking out a lot of different flavors and nuances of tobacco, that you just don’t experience as a new smoker. Think of it like this, the average wine drinker, compared to the Professional Wine Taster.

There is so much tobacco out there, you will find your enjoyable tastes, sometimes, some of us just need to hunt longer than others.

Aloha ? ? ☀️

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I also would try and get Tongue Bite out of your head, it’s a Ghost that might haunt you, if you’re not careful, really... LOL ?

Just SIP very slow and easy! If you sip slow and easy and still feel any bite, you might just be sensitive, and in that case, buy a Filtered Pipe next.

viera92

Lurker
Sep 26, 2013
Mexico
I also would try and get Tongue Bite out of your head, it’s a Ghost that might haunt you, if you’re not careful, really... LOL ?

Just SIP very slow and easy! If you sip slow and easy and still feel any bite, you might just be sensitive, and in that case, buy a Filtered Pipe next.
Yeah I will to not think about tongue bite. Tried yesterday with some coffee and "Trout stream", the bite was less but still there. Even if I take the bite out of the equation, seems like aromatic is not very enjoyable anyways, I have the idea that you sacrifice enjoyment for a pleasant aroma, but maybe I'm wrong ¿?

I want to lower my expectations but I hope this non aromatic I just ordered are more enjoyable even if room note is less pleasant.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Yeah I will to not think about tongue bite. Tried yesterday with some coffee and "Trout stream", the bite was less but still there.

Your tongue as I mentioned might just be sensitive, if that is the case, then you’ll want to use filters in your pipes.

A lot of tabac, if you take a big puff can be rough.

Remember, on a decent sized bowl/chamber, that is a big amount of tobacco, traveling a short distance to your mouth unfiltered.

So, if you consider a cigar, of similar diameter around, as in the size of a pipe chamber, that is pretty much a big cigar, with the length acting like a filter you draw through.

You don’t want to be limited in your Tabac Journey, not being able to try many blends because of Bite, so you should buy a Filtered MM Cob to keep money down, or buy as an example an inexpensive Savinelli pipe that uses a filter or similar type of filtered pipes...

My vote is that you start smoking a Filtered Pipe! ?

Filters on SPC.

Reactions: UncleRasta

jerseysam

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2019
Liberty Township. OH
Viera92,

Just sharing here from someone who was a primary cigar smoker for 20 years before moving into pipe smoking. There's a lot of well-meant suggestions in this thread.....some line up with my experience, some I'm scratching my head on a bit. This is just my own two cents, as this board was a great help to me as a lurker a few years ago while getting back into pipes:

• The cigar experience does not replicate in flavor in the pipe smoking world. I've smoked literally thousands of cigars over two decades.....you can get similar notes here and there, especially in blends with cigar leaf....but it's a very different animal. The flavors in pipe smoking, until your palette adjusts, are much more subtle and technique dependent.

• Pipe smoking is heavily technique dependent. How you pack, pace of your smoke. The vast majority of pipe triers do what you are doing to start, me included. Buy a bunch of blends based on flavors that sound good to your palette and figure you'll sample them all. As above, the flavors in all genres are going to be locked behind technique and you'll likely taste a limited spectrum at first no matter what you are puffing on.

• 'Tongue Bite' can typically be caused by a few things.....smoking too hot (steam/heat), reaction to natural sugar-heavy blends (usually Virginias), or just plain adverse body chemistry reaction (unique to you) to certain leaf strains. There is nothing inherent to aromatics that cause tongue bite, I've seen that said by newer posters on here recently. Usually the complaint with aromatics is that, for the new smoker, they smell great but all they taste is hot air.

• For a new smoker, a cob and trying a small handful of ribbon cut tobacco is usually a good guide path. An aro like 1Q, old stand-by "Over the Counter" blends like Carter Hall or Sir Walter Raleigh/Aromatic, and a mild English are a good start. It's important to note that almost all pipe tobacco is cased or topped to some degree.....the percentage of people who would enjoy "straight" pipe tobacco is very, very small. It is not analogous to cigars with flavored vs. unflavored......cigars are fermented, cured, aged, and rolled in a manner to produce their distinctive flavors. That sharp, ashy smell of cigarette is closer to what you'd get in the pipe tobacco world with 'unflavored' leaf and a starting technique.

• It sounds like you have a cob and some Balkan Supereme on the way. That's going to give you a good point of reference again the 1Q and Trout Stream you tried. Latakia (the smoke cured tobacco in English blends) has a strong BBQ/Campfire note and is usually easy to pick up for the newer smoker. The downside is it does not have what is typically thought of as a good room note. You have two Flake tobaccos on your list......they are popular blends but flake tobacco can be trickier than ribbon to get the right pack and light cadence. For a beginner, flake usually is a bunch of relights that can cause hot/wet smoking early in a bowl......and with VA (natural sugar-heavy leaf) that can increase the risk of tongue bite in some. Just be aware there.

• Overall, having a rough time with blends like 1Q may foretell of a bad body chemistry with pipe tobacco. If the English blend doesn't sit with you....this may not be your bag. Dull or mute flavors is for sure something that practice and time will solve for you....if you have discomfort and you're not smoking hot.....sometimes pipe tobacco can trigger reactions that we don't get in the cigar world.

• If you do decide to try a 'cigar leaf' blend, head to Smoking Pipes or TobaccoReviews and type in "Cigar Leaf". You'll likely see things like Key Largo, Kings Stride, etc. If you had purchased Billy Budd, approaching that as a new smoker my hunch is you'd have got a lot more 'cigarette' than 'cigar'.

Be sure to share how your cob works out!

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
Can you find a tobacconist that supplies 10gram (1/3 oz) samples? That way you won’t waste too much money on blends that don’t appeal to you. I find that straight Virginias bite like hell personally. I know you’re not looking for aromatic blends but when starting out many years ago I would always go for SG’s Kendal Exclusiv Black Cherry, it’s all dark Cavendish, immensely smooth and the topping isn’t overpowering or un-natural tasting. It’s all a personal choice and there’s no wrong answer when it comes to the tobacco YOU like. I find that blends with dark Cav’s and flue cured/smoked burly’s are sweeter and have less bite. And don’t think that because everyone here indulges in many different blends that you have to as well, there’s nothing wrong with sticking with something you truly enjoy, even if it’s the only thing you ever smoke. I also found that the blends that I’m not keen on can be turned into something amazing by blending them with something else. On several occasions I’ve put two tobaccos I didn’t like together and produced a great smoke.
I would definitely take the advice on getting a Missouri Meer, or a Falcon on which you can put several different bowls and also produce a cool smoke. Anyway the folks on this site are brilliant and between them can answer or solve any pipe problem you might encounter, stick at it and you’ll find what’s right for you.

viera92

Lurker
Sep 26, 2013
Mexico
Thanks again for all the suggestions. I will keep trying with my BCA, trout stream and HGL utill my package arrives. Will work on technique and packing.

I'm probably biased against aros because of the not pleasant taste, even if there's cero bite, If everything goes well with the virginias and english I ordered, I will probably give aros another try in the future, but for now I want to stay away from them.

Don't get me wrong, room note is VERY important to me, but if an aro is just good aroma and no pleasant taste, then I rather use glade or incense in my room. I want to find the middle point, something pleasant with pleasant to tolerable room note.