PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
Mine is boxed and ready, and will go out first thing tomorrow!

Meanwhile, I got impatient (I’m TERRIBLE with waiting for things like this) and opened the box that arrived last week. My SS made great choices! 4 tins, only one of which I’ve smoked before (the 2020 cringle flake). Va Perique crumble kake, which will be right up my alley, the 2020 Barrel-aged Crumble Kake, which I definitely wanted to try but didn’t grab before it disappeared, and Corn Cob Pipe (and a button nose). AND a MM cob, packaged in a snazzy Perdomo cigar box.

Thanks @milehighpiper!

image.jpg

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Mine is boxed and ready, and will go out first thing tomorrow!

Meanwhile, I got impatient (I’m TERRIBLE with waiting for things like this) and opened the box that arrived last week. My SS made great choices! 4 tins, only one of which I’ve smoked before (the 2020 cringle flake). Va Perique crumble kake, which will be right up my alley, the 2020 Barrel-aged Crumble Kake, which I definitely wanted to try but didn’t grab before it disappeared, and Corn Cob Pipe (and a button nose). AND a MM cob, packaged in a snazzy Perdomo cigar box.

Thanks @milehighpiper!

View attachment 55436
Careful, I think that Kringle Kake has nicotine in it.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
So I've been traveling a fair amount lately covid notwithstanding and finally found myself back home this weekend plowing through several weeks of mail. A box with an unfamiliar return address was in the pile and hope, combined with a keen sense of optimism, made me decide it was from my secret santa. My self-discipline, never the strongest part of me at the best of times, went awol in a heartbeat and I decided to open it then and there. Enclosed were two fantastic tins of tobacco, neither of which I've ever tried, and both of which are already packed for my next flight on Friday. James also enclosed a very thoughtful (and elegant) note describing the blends, the Peterson Flake and C&D's small batch release Warped: The Haunting. As for the former, I have yet to try the new incarnation of Dunhill's light flake, but I've wanted to for a while; if Jim likes it that's good enough for me. As for the latter, I was a cigar smoker before I was a pipe smoker, so the idea of cigar leaf blends, especially mixed with virginias, appeals to me strongly. As soon as New Jersey digs out from the coming snowstorm I'm headed down to sunny Florida and both tins are going with me. Thank you James, and happy holidays! Jon

IMG_2737.jpg

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Sometimes, you are taken by surprise and other times, not so much. Last week, I was floored by my SS. I will not mention his name for now (only because I did not ask for permission) but many will recognize one of his gifts to me. First, I had no intention of opening my SS gift until Christmas. We, my wife and I only give one gift to each other because of kids...all 7 of them. So this was going to be something for me to open. In any case, I was out of the house when the package arrived and so, when I made it home, there was this pipe and tobacco open on our bed. We, my other half and me, had made an agreement not to spend any money on ourselves because it does reduce the pool of possibilities for Christmas gifts from the kids. She thought she had caught me out and was throwing the fact in my face...and honestly, I was thinking to myself, did I buy this and forget about it...from the doorway she was blocking as I looked into the bedroom. She was mostly joking but I could see she was a bit miffed. After making it past the roadblock, I was literally put on my ass. I knew the handwriting and this SS was a person that has sent me some of my most used and most valued pipes. Just the tobacco was amazingly generous. The pipe can speak for itself. I have no more words. All I can say, this is my first Peterson and what a Peterson it is......and he knew that I grew up on the ocean and have worked on ships and boats as Captain, as flunky, striker, and researcher...from research to commercial shrimping/fishing. It is the most perfect pipe.....!!!! I just realized that the pipe nomenclature and band can't be read with the phone camera level of detail. It is a Peterson Great Explorer Series Shackleton !!! Thank you, Tim (SS)! <--I figure that is cryptic enough!

2020-12-15-01-18-25.jpg

Last edited:

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
So I've been traveling a fair amount lately covid notwithstanding and finally found myself back home this weekend plowing through several weeks of mail. A box with an unfamiliar return address was in the pile and hope, combined with a keen sense of optimism, made me decide it was from my secret santa. My self-discipline, never the strongest part of me at the best of times, went awol in a heartbeat and I decided to open it then and there. Enclosed were two fantastic tins of tobacco, neither of which I've ever tried, and both of which are already packed for my next flight on Friday. James also enclosed a very thoughtful (and elegant) note describing the blends, the Peterson Flake and C&D's small batch release Warped: The Haunting. As for the former, I have yet to try the new incarnation of Dunhill's light flake, but I've wanted to for a while; if Jim likes it that's good enough for me. As for the latter, I was a cigar smoker before I was a pipe smoker, so the idea of cigar leaf blends, especially mixed with virginias, appeals to me strongly. As soon as New Jersey digs out from the coming snowstorm I'm headed down to sunny Florida and both tins are going with me. Thank you James, and happy holidays! Jon

View attachment 55447

I thoroughly enjoy your writing style. Come back and post more frequently!

lightxmyfire

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2019
DMV Area
Ok, I've been seeing everyone open their packages and I couldn't resist any longer!

PipeSanta Photo 2020.jpg

Turns out SP.com was not my Santa, my Santa hid their tracks well. Still no clue who it was! So whoever you are thank you!

I've never had Bayou Morning but I love perique and I'm excited to try it! Might open this tin up on Christmas day and have a bowl, we'll see if I can make it that long!

Westminster is one of my favorite latakia/English blends and I'm excited to add another tin to the cellar. Merry Christmas!

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
USPS portrayal of S. Clause, P.O. Supervisor General- an insubordinate Beauracrat -15 Days and Counting and still not delivered to its kind recepient - Shame on you USPS for your fictitious rendering a phoney tell-all made for Lifetime Drama
I read in a recent article that trailers have been backed up and parked on the street outside the Cleveland USPS hub for days, waiting to be unloaded. I said it before, the answer is (always) MORE ELVES!

Status
Not open for further replies.