PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

graybeard68

Lurker
Dec 21, 2017
Hello,

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving Day and weekend. Hopefully it included a few relaxing bowls. I’m looking to identify the year of manufacturing for a Kaywoodie Drinkless 205S estate pipe. Is there a website or source that list the shapes, numbers and years that someone could share with me? Thank you! ?

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
Hello,

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving Day and weekend. Hopefully it included a few relaxing bowls. I’m looking to identify the year of manufacturing for a Kaywoodie Drinkless 205S estate pipe. Is there a website or source that list the shapes, numbers and years that someone could share with me? Thank you! ?
This is the best Kaywoodie shape chart I’ve found. Hope this helps.

Reactions: graybeard68

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
Hello,

Pipedia is the closest I could find. Collector's Guide to Kaywoodie Pipes - Pipedia - https://pipedia.org/wiki/Collector%27s_Guide_to_Kaywoodie_Pipes

Chris Keene compiled a lot of KayWoodie collector imformation, but sadly the site is no longer active. I believe Mike Thompson created a pdf file of his site (with permission) but I don’t know how to contact Mike for this file.

graybeard68

Lurker
Dec 21, 2017

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
Hello,

This might help.

Reactions: graybeard68

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A Drinkless is the only stinger pipe I own, and it is maybe ten years old, and has always smoked very well, and it's quick to clean the stinger too. A good useable pipe. The stinger version has now been discontinued, though the Drinkless name is still used for push-bit pipes.

graybeard68

Lurker
Dec 21, 2017
A Drinkless is the only stinger pipe I own, and it is maybe ten years old, and has always smoked very well, and it's quick to clean the stinger too. A good useable pipe. The stinger version has now been discontinued, though the Drinkless name is still used for push-bit pipes.
Thanks for the added information! :)

Peter - CCB

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 26, 2019
Santa Barbara, CA
www.etsy.com
It’s funny, when I got into pipes just over a year ago, I bought a lot of cheaper ones to practice restoration over and over. every month or so I go through these pipes and find a gem I didn’t realize I had.
found an1933-38 Kaywoodie Supergrain 5151 in excellent condition with a beautiful grain and a straight Grain prince in perfect, barely smoked condition. I think ebay was less competitive pre COVID.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
It’s funny, when I got into pipes just over a year ago, I bought a lot of cheaper ones to practice restoration over and over. every month or so I go through these pipes and find a gem I didn’t realize I had.
found an1933-38 Kaywoodie Supergrain 5151 in excellent condition with a beautiful grain and a straight Grain prince in perfect, barely smoked condition. I think ebay was less competitive pre COVID.
5151 is a great shape!!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
people on ebay don't always know what they have. I always look for things at antique shops and with old tobacco things it's clear they have no clue what they have. Either over charging for something you can get easily or under charging for a genuine rare find. The saddest one I found a stone snuff bottle made for a defunct American snuff brand for a few bucks I didn't have (while in school) at a goodwill. It was gone by the time I got paid I hope the person that got that knows how amazing a find that is something rare even when it was made.

Reactions: mso489

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
From time to time on Forums, I like to recall that Kaywoodie was the primo pipe in the fifties, priced above the Dunhills, as recounted by former member the late great Foggymountain who worked in Manhattan pipe shops at the time. Kaywoodie still makes one hell of a pipe, far above its price point in quality and design. I happen to be smoking a lithe blast straight tapered stem Kaywoodie right now, a bowl of C&D Bayou Nights. It lost that marketing edge but still makes one of the finer pipes around.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
This is gonna come in handy, I just brought a Kaywoodie Campus and I’m looking forward to posting a pic when it arrives as well as using this great feedback to date it hopefully. I understand they were designed for students to have a quick smoke between lectures.

Status
Not open for further replies.