Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh hell no, I’d never use one on a pipe! I’m talking exclusively for cigars.
Duh, my bad!! I mean, yeh, go ahead if you like using them.

I do have one in my cigar stash that I use if my cigar starts to canoe up on me. But, just for lighting it up, I still prefer a soft flame. But, lotsa guys like them.

I have no experience with the zippo inserts. But, I do know that for my torch... I went through three that wouldn't hold fluid before I got one that worked really well for any length of time. Maybe someone else will have specifics on just the inserts. .

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I just used one at the B&M the other day and thought it worked real well! My concern would be the size of the tank. Especially knowing myself and how I take a long time to rotate and toast the foot while lighting. It just seems like it would need to be refilled quite often. I would have worried about the lid getting in the way but that didn't seem to be an issue. I thought it was pretty cool overall and a no-brainer for the cigar smoking Zippo fan or collector. I have a lot of respect Zippo for manufacturing in the USA and offering lifetime guarantees. Pretty cool!

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I have several Zippos that I use for both pipes and cigars. I’ve never felt the need to use a butane torch to light a cigar, so I’d say no... but if you like a torch for cigars, then go for it ?
Yeah, I’ll go back to the normal insert if it doesn’t work for me. I’ve used both. I do like torches just for the accuracy of straightening a crooked burn, but the regular insert works too.

Reactions: dcon

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
So I got the Zippo insert. It works fine upright, but goes out sometimes if you hold it sideways. I might just need to bleed it, I don’t know. It does the job though.
I bet there is air in it.

btw that’s some random pic I found on the internet haha. I just remember those gas station torch lighters that would burn green, red, or blue ?

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

lelik

Lifer
Aug 21, 2019
Eagle torch lighter (original) good for pipes. Specially if you smoke outside.

odobenus

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
I use the single-flame torch insert as my back-up too. My only gripe is that, unlike a normal Zippo, it's somewhat clunky to open, hold and light with one hand. Either that or I'm weirdly uncoordinated.

Ctbill

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2019
CT & VT
Use the Zippo as a Zippo.
Find a good torch lighter if you prefer.
A Zippo does not make a good torch lighter, and a torch lighter does not make a good Zippo.
I have tried. Not worth the trouble...but have fun with the journey!
...My $0.02

Status
Not open for further replies.