Stubby, Chubby Billiards... What’s All the Fuss??

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seamaster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2020
Scotland
Looking at Pokers got me down the stubby rabbit hole lol! Maybe I need to climb back out?? I'm trying to round out my small collection, and Pokers & Nose-warmers are two shapes that I don't currently have. I've seen some 5.5"-6.25" Sitters that look pretty nice. Seamaster.. which Pokers catch your eye the most? Thx much!!??

I've posted before that the Dagner Cob is probably my favourite pipe. I'd also recommend another Dagner design, the Ring of Fire, if you prefer a briar poker. And the Savinelli 311, of course.

IMG_1211.jpeg
IMG_1207.jpeg
IMG_1209.jpeg

Pit&Pipes

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2020
OH-IO
I agree with Seamaster. The Dagner Cobb is a great smoker. The other MM smaller cobbs are great too. I’m really liking the Cutty or Anse. I picked up a handful of them and they are in my daily rotations for sure now.

Reactions: edger and unclemax

unclemax

Lurker
Nov 23, 2017
Max, here's a thought: buy a Radice with an acrylic stem. You will spend less than $200 and you will get a handmade, very well drilled pipe which you can stick in a jacket pocket and will serve you well for years. Perhaps it will become for you a favorite like it has for me or maybe it will be a great pipe for a specific occasion or circumstance. You can buy them cheaper but, if you can afford it, the Radice is the way to go first to see if you like the style of pipe.
Thank-ya, Merton... yeah, I started looking at Radice, Rinaldo, Ser Jacopo, and the like. Then I started inching up to Castello, Dunhill, ect. Currently taking mini-breaks from those sites bcuz there’s waaaay too much candy out there lolol!! I’m gonna smoke a bowl this afternoon, and narrow down to a short list. I’m on a roll, recently adding an Ardor and a beautiful Winslow. Thanks again, Merton?

Reactions: jpmcwjr and kcghost

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Here's the quartet I ultimately bailed on.
Dollar for Dollar - the Al Pascia Curvy smoked the best. The stemwork punches way beyond it's price point.

Curvy
Jake Hackert (PA Carver, haven't heard from him in ages)
Kaywoodie "Atlas"
Radice

Al_Pascia_Curvy_Gallery.JPGJake_Hackert_2007.JPGKaywoodie_Atlas_Gallery.JPGRadice_0_Nosewarmer_Gallery.JPG

Reactions: unclemax

unclemax

Lurker
Nov 23, 2017
Ok, fellas... finally narrowed it down, and punched the order earlier this morning. I'm pretty psyched!.. more than I thought I would be over a shorty. Probably bcuz I cheated a lil' on length, and found "my" version in a 5.26" length, with a kickass stance. Nice sized bowl, beautiful grain; I'm pretty happy. My first Ser Jacopo.BFBF3E21-8BF6-4009-80B0-96F708C61522.jpeg53274C4D-0BCC-41CB-A4B0-2B865625FB17.jpeg7F9CB028-4965-474F-A508-72F5F28F85C8.jpeg5BFB28E6-3668-44AC-8372-10BDB34AE13F.jpegE109FD51-E4BF-455A-AAB1-9954305D08E1.jpeg

Attachments

• 2D66FEBF-D20A-4A12-9B8B-98E2D4A76D03.jpeg
    2D66FEBF-D20A-4A12-9B8B-98E2D4A76D03.jpeg
    178.3 KB · Views: 1

Recon Paul

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2020
New Jersey, US
I've been interested in the nosewarmer type of pipe. I enjoy my MM minis (even though they basically suck). The size and wight is nice. Very interested in getting a pocket briar pipe. However, I have been recently warming up to my longer cobs. So, we'll see. I think I know what my next pipe is going to be and it's not a nosewarmer.

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
I have a stubby nose warmer that smokes really well. My problem is that I tend to keep my pipes in my mouth when smoking and although it is comfortable when it comes to weight and length that bowl is a bit too close to my face and I drown in residual bowl smoke. If they made those stubbies longer I'd probably like them more........ :)

Reactions: unclemax

unclemax

Lurker
Nov 23, 2017
I have a stubby nose warmer that smokes really well. My problem is that I tend to keep my pipes in my mouth when smoking and although it is comfortable when it comes to weight and length that bowl is a bit too close to my face and I drown in residual bowl smoke. If they made those stubbies longer I'd probably like them more........ :)
I hear ya, DAR! Smoke up my nose and in my eyes is no bueno. Even though I'm more of a "holder" than a jaw-hanger, longer pipes have always been my preference. That bein said, I'm on a PAD track at the moment, and had to snatch this one up. It'll be a striking, stout sitter, and will also travel nicely in my pocket The others on my immediate wishlist are much more conventional in length. Cheers to new pipes!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Short and/or stubby pipes aren't a big thing with me, but I have two short poker special edition MM cobs and several short briar pipes of various designs that are good dependable smokers. I have never experienced much smoke in the eyes or inhaled from short pipes, for whatever reason. Particularly a couple of the briars are sturdy in the shank and stem, thick but not heavy, so they ride in a pocket with little chance of getting bent and broken. It's a good way to have an offhand smoke without much set-up. I have a mild aversion to the Devil Anse themed pipes; it is an interesting story, but not something I want to commemorate when I'm enjoying a smoke. My favorite compact pipe is a tomato with a really thick shank and thick amber colored stem, by Jerry Perry, something he retrieved from under his display table seemingly with me in mind. I shopped for a while but bought the one he suggested.

Reactions: Mr.Pink

Mr.Pink

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2020
Chicago IL
I agree 100% with Mso, above. I loved the rustication with a bamboo accent on this pipe, but I get smoke in my eyes when I smoke Her and the bit is razor-thin, uncomfortable, and hard to clench. Smokes Like a dream and reality is a stunning piece. my first and my last Chubby :oops:Never again. So, beware unless you are into that kind of thing...Chub1.jpgChub2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.