PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
You put a political spin in most of your posts, if everyone else did we'd be a shitshow in this forum just like real life is.

I can't argue with the parenting comment, as a parent I see a lot of kids behaving like I'd never dreamed to behave, growing up in the 80s-90s.

Sure they can chose who to let their properties to, same as I chose who gets my money. It's the attitude I have a problem with, we have all become very intolerant of everything not strictly within our personal little bubble.
Spare me. There is nothing political in my post, unless someone is so paranoid about 'politics' that he wants to see something inexistent there. Besides, we're already discussing an issue of POLICY (i.e. forbiddance of smoking), which is unavoidably, well, 'political' since such bans can only be enacted and enforced by the state through its ministers, so why bemoan and cry foul? Isn't this the "Tobacco Legislation" forum?

Your two last posts help, nonetheless, to illustrate an insidious and deleterious and self-defeating attitude that is as widespread in the population as it is contradictory and absurd: namely, that we claim to want tolerance but are unwilling to be tolerant.

It's ludicrous to bemoan the banning of smoking at homes as government overreach, and then want the same government to overreach in order to force landlords to do what they do not want with their property. It's absurd.

Now, if that's too political for you and too offensive, I take note: I won't reply to your posts anymore and shall avoid you in the future. I've long since run out of silken gloves to handle people with.

Last edited:

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
People should be able to do what they want to as long as they are not hurting someone other than themselves. It's a very simple view and I'm really not sure why it is being denied by some people. Yet they want what they want regardless of what others think of them. These small interest groups don't make sense. I guess anti-smoking groups are no longer small.

Jun 9, 2018
England
The nanny state run amuck. Banned guns, stabbings and acid attacks became more common. So of course, regulating kitchen knives is on the table. That’s “progress”.

Yeah the nanny state is big over here sadly. They were gonna ban online sales of knives but that hasn't happened yet. They'll get around to it eventually and then you won't be able to buy a set of stake knives or whatever from ebay, genius idea?.
Gun laws were changed years ago so the only people who have them now are criminals, and as for free speech? Forget it. We've had "hate speech" laws for a good while now. It really is pitiful to see people being arrested and jailed for something they said.
A famous example of this ludicrous bs is the case of a guy singing the song "Kung Fu Fighting" at a karaoke night down at his local pub, an Asian person took offence and he was arrested and questioned by the police?.

Americans are lucky because they have The Constitution. Saying that I have seen footage (Stephen Crowder I think?) of younger Americans saying they wanted hate speech laws brought in over there. Believe me it's not the route you wanna go down.

The constant ratcheting up of anti smoking laws over here is just par for the course I'm afraid. If a landlord wants to have a pub with smoking permitted he's not allowed to, it's verboten, why? Surely it's his choice? Non smokers have got plenty of places to go and if smokers don't frequent his establishment in large enough numbers then he goes out of business.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
A famous example of this ludicrous bs is the case of a guy singing the song "Kung Fu Fighting" at a karaoke night down at his local pub, an Asian person took offence and he was arrested and questioned by the police?.

I've seen numerous similar stories in recent years...it's sad, stupid and pathetic. And yes, there is a large segment of society here as well that considers this type of thing to be sane and reasonable. Boggles the mind.

LOREN

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2019
Illinois -> Florida
I'm ok with people not wanting their belongings to have smoke on them, whether it's a rental car, hotel room, apartment, etc. But when I walk past a bar (serving alcohol) whether it's stand-alone or in a hotel or restaurant, I smell the beer (usually stale beer smell)
I think it smells worse than vomit, and i smell stale beer on people all the time not even near a bar. The same goes with perfume in stores and in public, but it actually gives me headaches. I truly understand people and their space ought to be respected, but it seems to me that tobacco is the only thing which is 'evil' enough to be regulated or banned. I'm not trying to start a fight, but it is a sincere thought of mine

Jun 9, 2018
England
I'm ok with people not wanting their belongings to have smoke on them, whether it's a rental car, hotel room, apartment, etc. But when I walk past a bar (serving alcohol) whether it's stand-alone or in a hotel or restaurant, I smell the beer (usually stale beer smell)
I think it smells worse than vomit, and i smell stale beer on people all the time not even near a bar. The same goes with perfume in stores and in public, but it actually gives me headaches. I truly understand people and their space ought to be respected, but it seems to me that tobacco is the only thing which is 'evil' enough to be regulated or banned. I'm not trying to start a fight, but it is a sincere thought of mine

I agree with that, I just think a pub lanlord, restaurant owner should have the choice.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I've seen numerous similar stories in recent years...it's sad, stupid and pathetic. And yes, there is a large segment of society here as well that considers this type of thing to be sane and reasonable. Boggles the mind.

It really isn't good. It starts off with the best intentions, ie banning racial epithets. But before you know it a middle aged woman is being arrested for "misgendering" a trans person on Twitter (actual case).

You either have free speech or you don't. We had it for a long time but sadly that's now history.

The US Constitution will hopefully stop any hate speech laws over there as it isn't easy to change. Even that isn't full proof though and bad ideas can make it on there, the 19th Ammendment allowing women the vote being an obvious example.

(that's a joke btw)

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Yeah the nanny state is big over here sadly. They were gonna ban online sales of knives but that hasn't happened yet. They'll get around to it eventually and then you won't be able to buy a set of stake knives or whatever from ebay, genius idea?.
Gun laws were changed years ago so the only people who have them now are criminals, and as for free speech? Forget it. We've had "hate speech" laws for a good while now. It really is pitiful to see people being arrested and jailed for something they said.

Americans are lucky because they have The Constitution. Saying that I have seen footage (Stephen Crowder I think?) of younger Americans saying they wanted hate speech laws brought in over there. Believe me it's not the route you wanna go down.

The constant ratcheting up of anti smoking laws over here is just par for the course I'm afraid. If a landlord wants to have a pub with smoking permitted he's not allowed to, it's verboten, why? Surely it's his choice? Non smokers have got plenty of places to go and if smokers don't frequent his establishment in large enough numbers then he goes out of business.
As an Asian, I'm offended that Asian is an Asian and don't appreciate good music like "Kung Fu Fighting". I can't imagine what that person will do if local theater features Bruce Lee movie.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU

And I was thinking we only and Sweden had things that bad, but in England,,, could not believe this you described taking place

elnoblecigarro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2020
I understand well that tobacco smoke may bother other people so I try to be respectful towards others while doing it. For example in my apartment building I don't smoke on the balcony even though it's allowed, because I don't want to bother other residents with my hobby. I usually go to the park/yard, where I think it's acceptable to smoke because people aren't forced to be right next to me and I won't stink up their home. It's also true that smoking indoors causes damage to the interior and especially in rental apartment it's a no go. I wouldn't want to be forced to inhale cannabis smoke either, especially not at my home where I cannot escape it.

But I cannot understand the sales restrictions, tax increases etc. because they want to make this world smoke free. I want to have the freedom to smoke, but I feel I also have the responsibility to not bother others unnecessarily with my choice.

But I feel that in public outdoors space I have the right to smoke and others can take few steps away if it bothers them. Those who want to smoke outside/at their own house, car or whatever should be allowed to do so and if it bothers some busybody then boohoo. After all there area a lot more pollutants outside besides tobacco smoke: vehicle exhausts/mold/pollen/barbecue smoke/people sneezing etc.

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
Edit: don't want to get into a forum argument.

I can't argue with the parenting comment, as a parent I see a lot of kids behaving like I'd never dreamed to behave, growing up in the 80s-90s.

Sure they can chose who to let their properties to, same as I chose who gets my money. It's the attitude I have a problem with, we have all become very intolerant of everything not strictly within our personal little bubble.
True, except for maybe the "we" part. I, for one, honestly don't give a rat's ass what anyone does as long as they don't screw with me or my stuff. Unfortunately the size of the Fun Police seems to be growing...those who think safety should be valued above all else, with a religious zeal resembling that of the recently converted. The problem is their unfounded faith in their own moral and intellectual superiority, which they believe justifies controlling other people's risky behavior.
Mostly though, I think they're a bunch of pu**ies with big mouths.
?

sholto

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 18, 2019
Kansas & (occasionally) Kendal, UK
I visited the UK last year in August for the first time since 2002. Back then smoking in pubs and hotel bars was the norm. It was quite a contrast to have to go outside to smoke. The pubs certainly smelled better but the craic wasn't the same if you catch my drift.

Due to inclement weather I smoked a fairly quick bowl of Five Brothers outside the Kirkstone Top (Kirkstone Pass Inn) and it was very enjoyable gazing upon Red Screes once again.
Screenshot_20201009-184259.pngScreenshot_20201009-184352.png

Status
Not open for further replies.