PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
They do not ghost. At all. Having said that, if you do not clean them (warm water under the tap and then allow to dry) you might get residual crud.

That’s not a ghost, that’s laziness

Sure, that makes sense. I'm asking because I'm smoking a Bowl in one of my favorite briars and had forgotten that the last thing I had in it was half a bowl of Sleepy Hollow. Now most of what I taste in that is Sleepy Hollow and it's disappointing because that's not what I'm wanting to taste.

Reactions: kurtbob and jpmcwjr

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I'd agree that treated well they don't ghost, at least with non aros. Aros I'm not sure. I've had estate gourd calabashes that were ghosted but I suspect that was more about the gourd than the meer bowl.

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
I’m pretty sure the one I used to smoke condor out of got ghosted. But it wasn’t that bad as the briar I ghosted with ennerdale. It’s been a while since I smoked it need to get a new stem made.

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
They absolutely will ghost. Think about the nature of the material.. It is highly absorbent, to a point where the tar will actually cause the outside of the pipe to color. The material naturally draws in moisture, and with it goes compounds that cause flavor/aroma. I fail entirely to understand why anyone says this. Smoke some St. Bruno or Ennerdale for a couple days in a meer, and tell me with a straight face they don't ghost.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
They absolutely will ghost. Think about the nature of the material.. It is highly absorbent, to a point where the tar will actually cause the outside of the pipe to color. The material naturally draws in moisture, and with it goes compounds that cause flavor/aroma. I fail entirely to understand why anyone says this. Smoke some St. Bruno or Ennerdale for a couple days in a meer, and tell me with a straight face they don't ghost.
Yeah. I had a St Bruno ghost going in mine, but it seems to have gone away after a thorough cleaning, some baking soda, and some Burley. Ghosting isn’t always a permanent situation. I haven’t messed with any heavy Lakelands yet though, and those sound like they must be pretty stubborn.

Reactions: badbeard

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Yeah. I had a St Bruno ghost going in mine, but it seems to have gone away after a thorough cleaning, some baking soda, and some Burley. Ghosting isn’t always a permanent situation. I haven’t messed with any heavy Lakelands yet though, and those sound like they must be pretty stubborn.
Yeah, definitely. Ghosting can usually be overcome, with enough persistence, in just about any pipe material. Sometimes you even find a friendly ghost. I happened to smoke some Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic in a pipe I had been smoking Brown Flake Scented in, and it became one of those "nirvana" smokes, and I ain't talking about teen spirit.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Yes, they will ghost. I know people who never could get Condor or the heavily scented G&H blends out of their meers, and spent years trying to do that. Warhorse Bar and Green can ghost a meer with repeated use. So can Exotic Passion.

brandaves

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2020
Kentucky
Yes, they will ghost. I know people who never could get Condor or the heavily scented G&H blends out of their meers, and spent years trying to do that. Warhorse Bar and Green can ghost a meer with repeated use. So can Exotic Passion.
I have a dedicated cob for Exotic Passion...it's a "haunting" blend for sure. I like it enough to have a pipe for it though ?

Reactions: kurtbob

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Of course they ghost. In a meer the various ghosts are readily visible. All that color is simply residue from all of the blends which have haunted the bowl over the years. I'd guess only ceramic, Brylon and other "man-made" bowls most likely wouldn't ghost as they are not, to my knowledge porous as is briar, meersham and any other of the "woody" products. Could be wrong though. It just seems logical.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Any pipe except maybe the "Le Pipe"—space age material!—will ghost. Although Le Pipe could maybe be cleaned well enough so it wouldn't have any residue.

Status
Not open for further replies.