PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I think a man raising a family properly, and instilling actual values in his children is about as manly as it gets. The lack of it in our society is undoubtedly what begets “men without chests,” if I’m understanding the term correctly.
My point was that my woman, who has a very pronounced, although unmanly chest, is doing the same things I do.
Are there any character traits that are good in a man that are not good in a woman?

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Hunter S Thompson was saying the exact same things, except without the funny accent

Are you really going to stick with the assertion that Hunter did not have a funny accent?

None of us knows whether we are the brave one or the coward until we are personally thrown into the shit. The outcome would surprise many.

Truer words have never been spoken.

Alright... I give... are Bengal and I posting about the same things you guys are? I raised two daughters by myself also. Is this all going back to the literal "men without chest?" Like, guys who have their necks on their waist?
Maybe we all have different interpretations of what old CS is saying.

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
Interesting video... even more interesting is that I am still pretty sure that Hunter S Thompson was saying the exact same things, except without the funny accent and big words, and with more bats flying out of shadows of broad daylight and lizards wearing leisure suits.
And less LSD perhaps;)

And less LSD perhaps;)
You can't tell me that a guy who writes about children sneaking around behind adult's backs, passing in and out of worlds where they talk to animals and worship a flying lion with characters like Reepicheep and Bibizet, flying in and out of paintings, closets, with invisible characters that hop around on one big foot wasn't imbibing in something a little stronger than ale or single malts.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
It's also good to keep in mind that CS Lewis is still more famous for writing about children playing with talking beavers and magical unicorns in the back of a closet. puffy
That was beyond his control. The currents of social trends and appeals, if you will.

His publications on serious topics outnumber his 'children's literature', and even the Narnia stories incorporate and boldly portray many elements of chivalry, morality, and a critique of modernity (see his description of "Experiment House" in The Silver Chair, and his deploring of the rising 'scientism' in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader ('Eustace had never read the right books') ).

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
It also amazes me that he passed himself off as a Christian while fully out in the open wrote strictly using a pagan hierarchy, most times using the pagan names in his books, even pagan stories, yet all the while calling it Christianity. I've always seen CS Lewis as the ultimate con job. But, I've always loved the stories.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
It also amazes me that he passed himself off as a Christian while fully out in the open wrote strictly using a pagan hierarchy, most times using the pagan names in his books, even pagan stories, yet all the while calling it Christianity. I've always seen CS Lewis as the ultimate con job. But, I've always loved the stories.
From the perspective of a Christian author, I offer that sometimes we recruit elements from heathenesse as literary devices and to convey, in a manner that is easier for the reader to grasp, the points we are trying to get across. We also prefer to go into a phantasy world in order to leave God alone, and to avoid not just blasphemy, whether potential or actual, but also confusion with the real, actual factual religion.

The main story in my book of short stories had a dragon as a protagonist and another dragon as an auxilary character: both of them were good even though in my Christian reality and worldview the figure of the dragon is mostly evil (except when it's depicted as coward in heraldics). Yet, I got the story across and I never maintained that real dragons, which would include the Red Dragon, are to be considered good.

When Lewis wrote non-fiction books, he did forego the heathen imagery and stuck to reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.