I Got My Stamp Nice And Crisp And Sharp This Time On This Bent Apple With Fancy Stem

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
I know on the last post, I had basically messed up my stamp. This time it turned out very crisp and clean on this bent apple with a fancy stem. The mark in the third picture isn't a crack or flaw; it's a residual piece of the Plateaux.
5jY3Wi3.jpg

uUwcb8d.jpg

QzR8iOL.jpg

p6NBMZZ.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nice shaping on that apple, not just the usual trope, and the grain on the brim is mighty fine. I think the stem sets off the design of the briar very well. Glad the stamp turned out.

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
Beautiful pipe, but (imo) not the right stem for it. A straight one would've been better choice.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Thank you for the comments. Sorry about the blurry pics. I take my pictures with my iPhone 10 and although I've read the manual and searched online; I still haven't figured out how to take sharp close ups. My old Galaxy 7 had a macro mode and it took really great close ups. I'll keep looking to try and figure out how to get closer in with my iPhone.
Cheers all.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Alex, yes it is light over dark with a coat of shellac just before polishing.
Stamp Photo is still a bit blurry but the stamping is nice and clean and crisp.
If anyone has any marketing suggestions on where and or how to sell these pipes, I'm way open to ideas or suggestions?
I've tried eBay before and am just a little cautious and uncertain, more so now than before.
I could maybe try Facebook or perhaps put my website up again. I took it down about two months ago.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Alex, yes it is light over dark with a coat of shellac just before polishing.
Stamp Photo is still a bit blurry but the stamping is nice and clean and crisp.
If anyone has any marketing suggestions on where and or how to sell these pipes, I'm way open to ideas or suggestions?
I've tried eBay before and am just a little cautious and uncertain, more so now than before.
I could maybe try Facebook or perhaps put my website up again. I took it down about two months ago.
I’ve never tried shellac. But I know many do, is there a brand that works well for you?

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
For low volume, high cost items, the modern way is to get a light box and a good camera, start an Instagram account, and engage with the people there obsessively. You might build a small community that is self sustaining that way.

I personally don’t like marketing enough to follow through on it.

Reactions: smknron

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Casual +1 Marketing is definetely not my forte.
It means interacting with other humans.
Alex, I use this:
zPp3EgB.jpg
I get it from Lee Valley in Canada. I used to really be carefull and mix a 1 pound, 1/2 lb, or 1/4 lb cut but since I use very little and use a small used relish jar to mix it; I use the old Kentucky windage method, or the old Mark-One human eyeball. I use a light coat.
Seems to work fine.

smknron

Can't Leave
Sep 9, 2019
West Central Florida
I agree with Casual. Instagram has a good following of pipe smoking in general. I sometimes browse around on the site looking at pipes & tobacco and find a lot of interesting people that show what pipes they have including what tobaccos they smoke etc.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Etsy?

Note that Instasham is owned by Fakebook. I won't touch either with the rusty stem of a chibook used to smoke pure latakia, but if you're already on either, well, it might be an option.

Is there a local B&M that might be willing to take them even on consignment?

The Internet market is supersaturated. I've no illusions about cashing in the bucks there.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
olkofri, I'm not on any social media at all. I have an Etsy account. Maybe I'll try there.
Thanks for the info brother!

Reactions: olkofri

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
olkofri, I'm not on any social media at all. I have an Etsy account. Maybe I'll try there.
Thanks for the info brother!
Same-o here. I've an Etsy account that so far has been sitting empty. Mostly procrastination but also a feeling of helplessness about trying to compete in a saturated market with next to no contacts or suxial media outlets to 'spread the word'.

Plus, Etsy charges you just for showcasing (cents, I know, but still).

Still, I think I need to start populating that account: I've not been successful trying to get local businesses to stock my stuff. Other than loopy pipe rests, nothing else has moved in the local stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.