PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I know some do flu shots and others don't. They've worked pretty well for me over the years, so I'm not bailing out at this juncture. If you are over 65 (check that age) you are supposed to get the higher dose. A scientist who worked on vaccines for years, and was high in the medical science hierarchy, once laughingly admitted she didn't get vaccines, so obviously there is mixed opinion. If you have health insurance and get prescriptions at Walgreens or CVS and probably at other chain drugstores, you can walk in and get these free. Now would be good timing to get it early but still have it last through flu season. The logic is, you don't want to be fighting two viruses at once, and you don't want the flu in any case.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I usually get one. I’ve heard some folks say that the shot gave them the flu, which is not the case of course. Sometimes people walk in with the flu already in their system, get the shot, but it’s too late. Then they get symptoms and swear the shot gave them the flu. They don’t realize there’s a bit of a symptomless incubation period, and they walked in infected. The shot usually only covers certain strains, and the researchers try to anticipate which ones will most likely be encountered that season, and make vaccines for those ahead of time. If you are unlucky enough to catch a strain not covered, the shot won’t protect you, which is why you also hear people that swear the shot doesn’t work. It’s not perfect, but it’s free with my insurance, and takes 5 minutes. Why not get it?

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I usually get one. I’ve heard some folks say that the shot gave them the flu, which is not the case of course. Sometimes people walk in with the flu already in their system, get the shot, but it’s too late. Then they get symptoms and swear the shot gave them the flu. They don’t realize there’s a bit of a symptomless incubation period, and they walked in infected. The shot usually only covers certain strains, and the researchers try to anticipate which ones will most likely be encountered that season, and make vaccines for those ahead of time. If you are unlucky enough to catch a strain not covered, the shot won’t protect you, which is why you also hear people that swear the shot doesn’t work. It’s not perfect, but it’s free with my insurance, and takes 5 minutes. Why not get it?
I’m one of those guys that swears he got sick by the vaccine, haha. I’ve only gotten sick with the flu once in my life (so far) and it happened when I got that damn shot. I haven’t had the vaccine or the flu since. Psychosomatic? Probably, but I’ll be staying away. I take 1,000 mg of liposomal vitamin C a day and I’m good to go. I will however probably get the C19 vaccine when it becomes available though.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Assuming the flu shot didn't do me any harm, which seems to be the case over some years, but only has a placebo effect, I'll take that. It's been shown that sugar pills presented as therapy actually sometimes make people better, presumably by gearing up their mental resistance. I think there are biological mechanisms that actually make vaccines work, but a positive placebo effect will do. It's like the phenomenon of young folks getting ripping drunk on non-alcoholic beer or punch that is not spiked.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I hadn't thought of the flu shot, low-grade fever, and Covid screening. If these systems were rational, you could present them with your drug store receipt for the flu shot, but I know the screeners are unlikely to have the training to put that together. Crazy. I have to take my wife for a medical appt this week, and they usually screen, so we'll see what happens. I can wait in the car, I guess. I'll take my receipt. Sometimes you can talk your way in.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I hadn't thought of the flu shot, low-grade fever, and Covid screening. If these systems were rational, you could present them with your drug store receipt for the flu shot, but I know the screeners are unlikely to have the training to put that together. Crazy. I have to take my wife for a medical appt this week, and they usually screen, so we'll see what happens. I can wait in the car, I guess. I'll take my receipt. Sometimes you can talk your way in.
They're not taking any chances. Even coughing or sneezing can get you sent to the First Responder's office to await a temperature screening if reported.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Not due to a flu shot.. but my wife actually got denied access to our son's school for our parent conference.. they said she had a 103 degree fever. I rushed through the appointment, and we went straight to the E.R., there her temp was normal. The thermometer at school was obviously wrong.. but how? They had checked kids with it all day.. every time they go in or out.

I'm not 65, but my doctor has offered the flu shot to me. I've never taken him up, I might one day though.

Reactions: BROBS
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Not due to a flu shot.. but my wife actually got denied access to our son's school for our parent conference.. they said she had a 103 degree fever. I rushed through the appointment, and we went straight to the E.R., there her temp was normal. The thermometer at school was obviously wrong.. but how? They had checked kids with it all day.. every time they go in or out.

I'm not 65, but my doctor has offered the flu shot to me. I've never taken him up, I might one day though.
I have to screen all of my kids and all the teachers in my hallway. I have zero faith in the accuracy of the thermometer they gave me. According to it, half the people I’ve scanned are hypothermic. ?‍♂️

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
They're not taking any chances. Even coughing or sneezing can get you sent to the First Responder's office to await a temperature screening if reported.
Yeah. Ridiculous. Plenty other things can cause you to sneeze or cough. My GERD causes me to cough and/or hawk. So far, no nuclear reactions, but I'm worried someone will eventually shit himself when I cough in his vicinity due to something I've had for ~20 years and that's not respiratory at all. Why were we running out of toilet paper?

I have to screen all of my kids and all the teachers in my hallway. I have zero faith in the accuracy of the thermometer they gave me. According to it, half the people I’ve scanned are hypothermic. ?‍♂️
Well, what time in the day was that? Body temperature is not a set value: it varies constantly throughout the day and due to many variables—food intake, mood, physical activity, stress, &c. It's lowest in the morn and highest around 3 PM.

Last week I had to go to the dentist and they took my temperature with one of those non-touch forehead thermometers: I freaked out the receptionist when I asked her, "36.3?" (I had taken my temp upon getting up with my ear cannal thermometer.)
She was like, "huh?? How did you know without looking at the panel? Can you read minds or something?"
I replied, "no, that's what my own thermometer at home said. I was just checking both agreed."

Reactions: Chasing Embers
Status
Not open for further replies.