PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Which cigars do you consider to punch above their weight in terms of quality for $? I’ve been out of the cigar scene for a few years now since picking up pipes, and would like to know if there are some good “deals” out there. My old regular “workhorse” brand was La Gloria Cubana, but I also frequently smoked Padron, Montecristo, Macanudo, and Romeo y Julieta. Mostly Coronas and Robustos. Any suggestions?

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I like the la Gloria Cubanas and Macanudo Cafes pretty well. Along those same lines of a milder cigar, my go to is the Arturo Fuente Flor Fina 8-5-8. For a fuller flavor spicier cigar, I like the macanudo inspirado series. At any given time, I’ll have more 8-5-8 sticks in my humidor than anything else. Can’t go wrong with them.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I think if you're willing to spend up to about $6/stick (not counting taxes), there are quite a few worth checking out. Here are some I'd suggest... Not all these cigars are less than $6 MSRP but if they're not, I'm adding them because they're easy to find on sale at less than $6

Oliva: Serie G and O. Some sizes of the Serie V (corona, lancero and double robusto). Also, the Cain F. Oliva is really hard to beat in terms of pure bang-for-the-buck.

Espinosa: Habano and 601 lines

My Father: Flor de Las Antillas

Arturo Fuente: Most of the Gran Reserva and some of the Chateau vitolas meet the price threshold

AJ Fernandez: Enclave (and sometimes it's more expensive broadleaf brother)

La Galera Habano. The Connecticut and Maduro (Mexican San Andres) versions are solid too, but not my preferred wrappers.

Curivari: Buenaventura and Cafe (not flavored) lines

Tatuaje: Tattoo line

Joya de Nicaragua: Antano 1970 and Silver lines

Alec Bradley Project 40

Charter Oak Ct Shade and Ct Broadlead (maduro)

Agree with the Macanudo Inspirado suggestion. Well, the Inspirado Orange, anyway. Good cigar at a wallet-friendly price.

If you have access to Habanos: Por Larranaga Montecarlos, Bolivar Coronas Juniors, Ramon Allones Small Club Coronas, Upmann Majestics, Partagas Shorts and Habaneros.

If you shop around and check auctions you can frequently find good prices on the brands you mentioned, even if their list prices just keep rising. Being a cigar smoker on a budget takes a bit of a time investment, but you can smoke well if you keep your eyes peeled.

You can get amazing deals on cigar auction sites, if you do a little homework. Specially if you purchase a couple of hundred dollars ? worth on a single order

With that established...

Taste is very subjective. However...

1. Oliva as others mentioned makes some amazing cigars. At the mid range you will often get Master Blends 3 and Series G at budget prices. If you spend a little more (or lucky to score a bargain) Oliva Serie V Melanio can compete with the very best Padron.

2. I personally like Rocky Patel Vintage series a lot. All obtained at a deep discount to retail

3. 601makes very good value cigars. I often smoke the Blue Label Maduro, which is a tad too strong, but I have also tasted 601 Green Label Oscuro which is milder than the Blue, but plenty strong

I often like a mild Connecticut Shade (or similarity mild cigars). Monte Christo Classic is a quintessential smoke in this genre, maybe fallen a little out of favor, and sold at deep discount to retail.

Romeo y Julietta Reserva Real is another fantastic mild creamy smoke and can obtained at a deep discount.

Lastly ...Avoid Gurkha. IMO Gurkha’s are horrible.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I think if you're willing to spend up to about $6/stick (not counting taxes), there are quite a few worth checking out. Here are some I'd suggest... Not all these cigars are less than $6 MSRP but if they're not, I'm adding them because they're easy to find on sale at less than $6

Oliva: Serie G and O. Some sizes of the Serie V (corona, lancero and double robusto). Also, the Cain F. Oliva is really hard to beat in terms of pure bang-for-the-buck.

Espinosa: Habano and 601 lines

My Father: Flor de Las Antillas

Arturo Fuente: Most of the Gran Reserva and some of the Chateau vitolas meet the price threshold

AJ Fernandez: Enclave (and sometimes it's more expensive broadleaf brother)

La Galera Habano. The Connecticut and Maduro (Mexican San Andres) versions are solid too, but not my preferred wrappers.

Curivari: Buenaventura and Cafe (not flavored) lines

Tatuaje: Tattoo line

Joya de Nicaragua: Antano 1970 and Silver lines

Alec Bradley Project 40

Charter Oak Ct Shade and Ct Broadlead (maduro)

Agree with the Macanudo Inspirado suggestion. Well, the Inspirado Orange, anyway. Good cigar at a wallet-friendly price.

If you have access to Habanos: Por Larranaga Montecarlos, Bolivar Coronas Juniors, Ramon Allones Small Club Coronas, Upmann Majestics, Partagas Shorts and Habaneros.

If you shop around and check auctions you can frequently find good prices on the brands you mentioned, even if their list prices just keep rising. Being a cigar smoker on a budget takes a bit of a time investment, but you can smoke well if you keep your eyes peeled.

Nice list!

odobenus

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
Agreeing with everything above, and just want to chime in that I think the Joya de Nicaragua Antano 1970 Machito is one of the best flavor/construction/cost combinations that I've personally found. You can get a box of 20 for $67 ($3.35/ea) -- hard to beat. Also Partagas Shorts can often be found on sale for $85/25 ($3.4/ea).

Moonbog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
CAO Italia, CAO Brazilia, CA Black. Ditto Oliva Master Blend 3. Olvia Saison. La Perla Habana White Pearl. None of these are a budget buster. For downright cheap cigars... I really don't mind the 5 Vegas Gold, they're good as are the 5 Vegas Triple A.

I generally really like all Drew Estate Cigars no matter how weird the flavor profiles. They're all worth a try because of the solid construction and perfect burn.

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
Really great lists above. I second (or third) My Father Flor de las Antillas - fantastic stick at a reasonable price. Same for oliva - master blend 3 is a great stick but for some reason often discounted. Also arturo fuente 858 maduro - smooth and mild and a good size if you dont want to be smokiny for an hour +. Also check out kristoff if you can find them as part of a sampler of 5 pack deal. I also like some Alec Bradleys - prensado if u like some strength and black market if you like a nice easy smoke.
If you find something you like and want to buy a box i have not any online retailer better than Holt’s when they have boxes on sale. I just bought two boxes of nat sherman sterlings (panatela size, 25 to a box) at around 120. Every other retailer was listing them for 330 a box.

Reactions: danimalia

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Really great lists above. I second (or third) My Father Flor de las Antillas - fantastic stick at a reasonable price. Same for oliva - master blend 3 is a great stick but for some reason often discounted. Also arturo fuente 858 maduro - smooth and mild and a good size if you dont want to be smokiny for an hour +. Also check out kristoff if you can find them as part of a sampler of 5 pack deal. I also like some Alec Bradleys - prensado if u like some strength and black market if you like a nice easy smoke.
If you find something you like and want to buy a box i have not any online retailer better than Holt’s when they have boxes on sale. I just bought two boxes of nat sherman sterlings (panatela size, 25 to a box) at around 120. Every other retailer was listing them for 330 a box.
I saw the Nats on sale at Holt's and remembered someone mentioning how much they liked it a few days ago. Glad you found 'em!

I'm with you. Holt's has some great prices. You won't get much, if any, discount on their own cigars (Ashton, La Aroma, San Cristobal) or their manufacturer partners' (Fuente, My Father) cigars, but Oliva, Alec Bradley, AJF, Villiger and many more are routinely available for super bargains.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I never found a good cigar under $7-$8. I would find something for $5 and was invariably disappointed. I gradually let go of restraint, spent way too much but smoked great cigars.

Cigars are, after all, utterly lovely.

Status
Not open for further replies.