PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've heard Velvet is a good burley leaf. Others to look at are Ohm in various burley/Virginia/Turkish blends that costs less than Velvet, and Daughters & Ryan blends, quite a few, at moderate prices, like Two Timer, a twice toasted burley.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I just purchased an MM maple hardwood pipe (pictured below). It's a first for me and was wondering if I should treat it like a briar (build a cake) or treat it like a cob (no cake).
Hardwood-Pipe-2.jpg

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I just purchased an MM maple hardwood pipe (pictured below). It's a first for me and was wondering if I should treat it like a briar (build a cake) or treat it like a cob (no cake).
View attachment 90365
Like a cob. The heel in MM's pipes is never smooth like a briar, but always cobbish, what with the stem protruding into the chamber and glued in place leaving big nooks to its side and all. Cake in there wouild be a major mess if you ask me. Besides, the cake is a lie.

Reactions: ray47

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Maple hardwoods smoke hot so as a beginner don't try & freighttrain it. MM started making those again in the early 2000's after a couple yrs of drought & cobs were just running too small to make many pipes.

Reactions: ray47