PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
I plan on doing this as well. Currently I have 150 or so tins in a plastic container and there's a definite tobacco odor which makes me think they're not all 100% air tight, and I need them to last 15-20 years.
The only way to be sure of that is to make sure there was no odor previously. Many tins from B&Ms come pre-odorized, lol. Many tins coming from warehouses directly to us like from SP will have no odor to start.

Reactions: BROBS

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The only way to be sure of that is to make sure there was no odor previously. Many tins from B&Ms come pre-odorized, lol. Many tins coming from warehouses directly to us like from SP will have no odor to start.
Okay, so lets' take your suggestion that the tins already smelled because they came out of a manufacturing environment where there was a tobacco smell and a shipping and storage environment where there was a tobacco smell that permeated outer surfaces of the tins.

Explain this to me. When I placed a bunch of Virginia tins in a tupperware container, sealed it and opened it a couple of weeks later, there was a promounced Virginia scent. When I placed a bunch of Latakia/Oriental tins in a tupperware container, sealed it, and opened it a few weeks later, there was a pronounced scent of Latakia and Orientals. When I placed a bounch of round and cannister tins in a tupperware container, sealed it, and opened it a few weeks later, there was no scent. Why is that if the scent is because they already had it before they arrived?

Square and rectangular tins leak, slowly, but they leak. They were never intended for long term storage, so why rely on them? Jar blends upon arrival like Pease now recommends, or seal tins up in .7mil food grade Mylar - that's 7 laminated aluminized layers of Mylar with close to zero gas permeability, for long cellaring. Or, don't do anything and hope for the best.

Zartoon

Might Stick Around
Jan 8, 2020
Yet another drop missed. I dont know how you all keep up with life and are able to jump on these drops. by the time I found out, everything was gone gone gone.....
congratulations to all who scored a loot! Cheers and enjoy my smokey friends.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Okay, so lets' take your suggestion that the tins already smelled because they came out of a manufacturing environment where there was a tobacco smell and a shipping and storage environment where there was a tobacco smell that permeated outer surfaces of the tins.

Explain this to me. When I placed a bunch of Virginia tins in a tupperware container, sealed it and opened it a couple of weeks later, there was a promounced Virginia scent. When I placed a bunch of Latakia/Oriental tins in a tupperware container, sealed it, and opened it a few weeks later, there was a pronounced scent of Latakia and Orientals. When I placed a bounch of round and cannister tins in a tupperware container, sealed it, and opened it a few weeks later, there was no scent. Why is that if the scent is because they already had it before they arrived?

Square and rectangular tins leak, slowly, but they leak. They were never intended for long term storage, so why rely on them? Jar blends upon arrival like Pease now recommends, or seal tins up in .7mil food grade Mylar - that's 7 laminated aluminized layers of Mylar with close to zero gas permeability, for long cellaring. Or, don't do anything and hope for the best.
I’m not arguing. Just pointing out that if we use scent as evidence we need to make sure we start from zero. Similar to judging a potential oil leak by old spots on the floor.

One consideration, though I’m not sure how to reconcile it - it should be technically by definition impossible for a vacuum sealed tin to leak air/scent if the vacuum is intact. Air can only move from high pressure to low which would be into the tin, not out of it, until the vacuum no longer exists. For scent to leak, the vacuum would have to be compromised. I’m not saying that scent is not leaking, just having a hard time figuring out how that could work with a vacuum sealed tin. My one thought is that the vacuum is compromised and the seal exists more by the adhesive nature of the physical seal. Thoughts are welcome.

Last edited:

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Yet another drop missed. I dont know how you all keep up with life and are able to jump on these drops. by the time I found out, everything was gone gone gone.....
congratulations to all who scored a loot! Cheers and enjoy my smokey friends.
For me at least, my work schedule gives me a few days a week completely off. I have been on the other end though where I am at work, see it dropping and do not have time to order any.

Reactions: kwg116 and BROBS

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I’m not arguing. Just pointing out that if we use scent as evidence we need to make sure we start from zero. Similar to judging a potential oil leak by old spots on the floor.

One consideration, though I’m not sure how to reconcile it - it should be technically by definition impossible for a vacuum sealed tin to leak air/scent if the vacuum is intact. Air can only move from high pressure to low which would be into the tin, not out of it, until the vacuum no longer exists. For scent to leak, the vacuum would have to be compromised. I’m not saying that scent is not leaking, just having a hard time figuring out how that could work with a vacuum sealed tin. My one thought is that the vacuum is compromised and the seal exists more by the adhesive nature of the physical seal. Thoughts are welcome.
Vacuum my be a relative term. I suspect there's a more complex gaseous exchange going on, and were my father still alive, I'd ask him about it. I'm the son of an engineer and have that gene, but I'm by no means an engineer. Maybe one among our flock will be able to chime in.

artvandelay007

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2018
Wichita, KS
Vacuum my be a relative term. I suspect there's a more complex gaseous exchange going on, and were my father still alive, I'd ask him about it. I'm the son of an engineer and have that gene, but I'm by no means an engineer. Maybe one among our flock will be able to chime in.
Yes all vacuum means in this context is that the pressure inside the jar is less than the atmospheric pressure, in other words, not a true vacuum. This is only typically the case. Sometime the pressure is greater, similar to the bulging tin case.

All particles are in constant motion (Brownian motion which is a manifestation of the thermal kinetic energy). Regardless of pressure difference, some of the odor particles in gaseous state will come out. Also, it only takes a few parts in million of odor molecules to escape, for us to smell

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario

Sometimes I swear that I smell tobacco aroma seeping out of my mason jar container. I am super diligent in making sure there is no debris around the rim, that the lids are in good shape and the rings screwed down tight. Every one that I have opened to check, the rim is clearly compressing the rubber down 100% of the way around . Maybe it's the oils from my hands after packing the tobacco sticking to the jar perhaps? Whatever the case, they definitely seemed sealed, and I could definately smell tobacco

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Sometimes I swear that I smell tobacco aroma seeping out of my mason jar container. I am super diligent in making sure there is no debris around the rim, that the lids are in good shape and the rings screwed down tight. Every one that I have opened to check, the rim is clearly compressing the rubber down 100% of the way around . Maybe it's the oils from my hands after packing the tobacco sticking to the jar perhaps? Whatever the case, they definitely seemed sealed, and I could definately smell tobacco
It's not the oil on your hands. I have the same experience.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Do you think that it seeps from the rim seal?
I can't think of any other place. I keep my jars in in a couple of closed cabinets, about 40 to 50 1/2 pint jars each, and there's a persistent smell in one of the cabinets even though I've gone through to tightened every one of them.

We know that sealed tins can leak smells even when their vacuums are intact, so why not mason jars?

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
I'll say the And So To Bed is kinda funky. I'm pretty sure I'm tired of the soapy stank. I've smoked almost a tin and I've had enough for a good long while.. I tried to eat with a half smoked pipe on the table, somehow the funky stank made its way into my food.. damn near ruined my chili dogs.
Lol. Was definitely an early favorite of mine. Haven’t smoked it in ages but remember the funkily delicious tin note well.