PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
Stay safe out there. Germain’s is back open now, so we should see the drops return with regularity.
Yeah, thanks...I'll try, I put my hazards on to let others know that there was an urgent issue in the car...but other drivers don't always understand...about esoterica...
She was angry...
images.jpeg
It is nice to hear that they are back tht way maybe next time she can grab a bag as well!

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
What’s the deal with Pelican? It sells for a lot on Pipestud, so I figured it was a discontinued blend. Is it good or just rare?

Everyone thought it was discontinued when Butera/McLelland closed but apparently they sold the rights. Now Arango/Germain produces it.... but like only one tin every year (if they even feel like it). So basically it's just really rare and maybe pretty good as well.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Rare, its pretty good. Last saw it in 2017 at COJ. I will put a pic up when my haul arrives.

Kingfisher was at another B&M today but sold out before I got to it.

I managed to score a tin of Kingfisher last week unexpectedly. Now I'm in the odd situation where I don't know what to do with it... do I smoke it or do I mount it on the wall and stare at it like a museum piece?

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
I managed to score a tin of Kingfisher last week unexpectedly. Now I'm in the odd situation where I don't know what to do with it... do I smoke it or do I mount it on the wall and stare at it like a museum piece?
I know a guy who also got one, he smoked a few bowls. Said it was good but nothing to write home about and he is going to age the rest. He posted this pic...A591D767-40AF-4602-9D4F-41D58E90111E.jpeg

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
I know a guy who also got one, he smoked a few bowls. Said it was good but nothing to write home about and he is going to age the rest. He posted this pic...View attachment 38837
Man, they even managed to kill the rectangle tins on Kingfisher! It’s definitely a different blend and like many other tobaccos it can take several bowls before developing an appreciation. It’s not in your face and has a pretty unique flavor profile.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Germain's Brown Flake and Stonehaven are favorites for sure, but I wouldn't pay the crazy prices I see being asked. I always found C&D Sunset Harbor Flake to be much better than Penzance, but I'm not big on Latakia blends anymore.
Germain's Brown Flake being so hard to find, I didn't mind paying $15.95 for a tin of it on this last drop.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
What’s the deal with Pelican? It sells for a lot on Pipestud, so I figured it was a discontinued blend. Is it good or just rare?
What does it sell for? I have a few tins of it, including the original Butera product. I think I spent $25 per tin on the secondary market.
I bought a number of vintage tins years ago before the second hand, estate, vintage tobacco market got busy. You could pick up the stuff cheap as it was second hand tobacco that somebody was dumping. Kinda surprises me when I see an enameled tin of Escudo go for between $120 and $140. I paid around $20 for mine.