PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I ordered and upgraded to priority, and have had only sporadic updates. Went from pending acceptance in SC to being at my local distribution hub. ?‍♂️

Edit to add: I’d usually have my order by now, so I think USPS really is feeling the COVID crunch right now.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Yeah. USPS has some challenges and will definitely depend on where things transit from, to and through. It took 11 days for a 2 day priority package from Texas to arrive. My wife has waited over a week for a package from a friend that lives less than an hour away. It’s a challenge.

The packing is another story. SP usually packs well I I think you would be right to complain about a crappy pack job and dented tins.

The shipping thing has been debated endlessly and it just plain is what it is. People like free shipping and each service is getting more and more expensive.which puts vendors in a tricky spot. The only 2 real choices are UPS and USPS as fed ex wont ship tobacco. SurePost gets a lot of complaints but the reality is it’s probably only a small percentage of the business sure post does.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
No one else cares about dented tins?
I do, since most of the tins I purchase will be collectibles. That package does look like major suxage; however, we've not seen the contents. Both the post and couriers will be rough with parcels: that's a given. Even boxes that have 'Fragile', 'Handle with care', 'Documents: do not bend', &c., WILL be tossed around, knocked about, and bent. Senders have to take super rough handling into consideration when shipping and include padding up the wazoo. Not all of them do that, however: looking at you, Amawokezon.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Whilst on the issue of shipping, one thing that really vexes me is vendors sending you E-mail invitations to review the products you bought when the darn parcel hasn't been delivered yet!

Ordered some goodies from tobaccopipes.com—dispatched on July 13, received in Canada on July 22, released by customs July 28, and expected delivery date is August 5.... invitation to review the items purchased received July 28. :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: ofafeather

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Whilst on the issue of shipping, one thing that really vexes me is vendors sending you E-mail invitations to review the products you bought when the darn parcel hasn't been delivered yet!

Ordered some goodies from tobaccopipes.com—dispatched on July 13, received in Canada on July 22, released by customs July 28, and expected delivery date is August 5.... invitation to review the items purchased received July 28. :rolleyes:
+1

Kozeman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2020
Woodstock, Illinois
Just to add some balance....
I have had nothing but good experiences with my shipped items from S.P.s. Fast to ship. Fast to deliver via Sure-post to Chicago area. Items are packaged in various ways. Tins always seem to be adequately protected by minimal amounts of packing. My last order had a clay pipe in it and that was wrapped better than the last TV I bought. In fact seemed like overkill for a $20 pipe, but I appreciated their effort and the result.

Now I wish I could say the same for my experiences with FedEx for our business. Weeks to get hops delivered from California when paying full ground rates and the box ends up looking like your delivery BROBS.

And then there is Amazon... A three cubic inch box rattling around in a one cubic foot box with no packing whatsoever. Not even sure what they are thinking in those situations.

I think certain carriers have certain routes that are sweet spots their ability to handle items with care.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I do, since most of the tins I purchase will be collectibles. That package does look like major suxage; however, we've not seen the contents. Both the post and couriers will be rough with parcels: that's a given. Even boxes that have 'Fragile', 'Handle with care', 'Documents: do not bend', &c., WILL be tossed around, knocked about, and bent. Senders have to take super rough handle into configuration when shipping and include padding up the wazoo. Not all of them do that, however: looking at you, Amawokezon.
I posted the tin pics in another thread.
but here they are. Mainly dented around the sealing edges. One has a live-withable dent along the bottom.
0CE354D4-62F5-4204-824D-608B70844469.jpeg
FEDEE4A5-3D4B-4345-9F90-3E4B4791C5A3.jpeg

my problem is not any collectible aspect, or even that I’m worried about the tobacco now. When they go in my cellar I have no idea when I will smoke them. Could be a year... 5.... 10? Did the dents compromise the seal? Maybe not now. What about in a year? 5? 10? Will it remain sealed as well as an undented tin?

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I posted the tin pics in another thread.
but here they are. Mainly dented around the sealing edges. One has a live-withable dent along the bottom.
View attachment 37775
View attachment 37776

my problem is not any collectible aspect, or even that I’m worried about the tobacco now. When they go in my cellar I have no idea when I will smoke them. Could be a year... 5.... 10? Did the dents compromise the seal? Maybe not now. What about in a year? 5? 10? Will it remain sealed as well as an undented tin?
Personally, I would go ahead and jar the ones with dents in the seal area.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I’ve not ordered tins for quite a while. Smokingpipes was my primary house to go to. I’ve never been disappointed with their shipping as I’d get a sound ? within 3-4 days of hitting the button. @BROBS concern with this particular ? is definitely valid though. Only problem with sending the tins back is the Stockton was a limited release and they likely can’t replace those tins. In this particular case I’d apply some tape round the seal and deal with it. Stills burns your ass though understandably.?☕

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I’ve not ordered tins for quite a while. Smokingpipes was my primary house to go to. I’ve never been disappointed with their shipping as I’d get a sound ? within 3-4 days of hitting the button. @BROBS concern with this particular ? is definitely valid though. Only problem with sending the tins back is the Stockton was a limited release and they likely can’t replace those tins. In this particular case I’d apply some tape round the seal and deal with it. Stills burns your ass though understandably.?☕
They have reached out to me and will make it right. Said there should have been better packing materials. I am not blaming them in any way for the box condition or delivery time. It has to be assumed these boxes are going to be handled roughly.

I think tape around the seal is actually a great idea. I would like to keep them in the tins if possible. Yes it chaps my ass a bit that this is one of my favorite tobaccos and a limited release with numbered tins. Can’t replace them. Yes I could send back for a refund but then I am left with 3 tins and no replacement for the 5!

Status
Not open for further replies.