PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I am intrigued by the number of new members who have joined since the site was upgraded. I feel sure the rate of new members joining is higher than ever before. I would guess about half become regular at posting, and that some percent, maybe about fifteen or twenty, never post more than two or three times. It is intriguing to watch the coming and going. Some folks join only to address a problem related to inherited pipes, for example, and/or selling pipes they have on hand, or to answer one question about an unusual pipe. The conversation and information is pretty intense on the subject, so I guess some decide they are interested, but not that interested. Forums is really global. The cosmopolitan membership is part of the draw.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I guess I stuck around because I enjoy reading others’ opinions on things. That and the light-hearted ribbing, interesting stories, and general foolery. I’d say the forum has the general feel of an old school barber shop: mostly guys goofing around, giving each other a hard time, swapping stories, and having a good time. The distinction being that we also have nice input and conversation from some female members, as well, which is nice. The old barber shop has pretty much disappeared, and I’ve gone bald-headed anyway, so this is my virtual barber shop. ☕

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Once I figure out enough and get all the gear I lust after, I’ll stick around for a few more months and then be on my way. I’ll check in once a year to see if anything is new when I place an order to replenish whatever I’ve smoked over the year.

My personal history is littered with forums userids with 2-3 years of posting, then darkness. Bladeforums, badger & blade, ADV rider, and before that, USENET. And on and on.

What will the next thing be? Who knows?

I am here to learn so that the mistakes I make are less expensive and enjoy the camaraderie of people who all share in a similar hobby.

HOWEVER:

I am not very good at it. As an example, everyone always says "Sample. Your tastes will change so don't stock up on what you think you like until you take the time to immerse all types of tobaccos. Had I taken that advice, I would have save a lot of money. I haven't touched an English/Balkan in 6 months and I am pretty deep in them. I am sure they will come back around as my tastes and palette continues to develop.

There are a few people on here that are like E.F. Hutton (dating myself :) ):

When they speak, people should listen. I won't single them out but it's not hard to quickly identify who they are as they don't spend a lot of time on the banter or in the fray but DO share their vast knowledge on a particular topic as they see fit. And then there are others like me, who just have their (limited) frame of reference to share and it should be taken as that: Just another opinion. :)

The group of people that are on this Forum are, as a whole, much more entertaining and a bit more gentle-person-like than one would find on most other types of forums, as a whole. It makes for a much more friendly and enjoyable experience. It also helps that mods are quick to respond and are effective at throttling situations before they get out of hand.

Did I mention that his is just my opinion? puffy

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I think one reason for the increase in membership is that now you have to be registered to access certain content?

I tend to stay on fora for the long run, since I don't do suxial media, these platforms are the only contact I have with 'the outside', so I tend to stick around even if not posting much. Eventually, interest can wane, yes. You'd no longer see me at Gamebanshee forum, or the sites can go under too.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I stay here because I have made some friends over the years. I also recognize that this site has more people with some very specific knowledge that few in the pipe world have and they are always willing to share. We are allowed good natured fun and ball busting to a point. Sometimes idiots like me can go over board and thankfully they still let me post here. The mods do a great job at keeping the place clean and friendly and nix the politics real quick which is great. I have been here 8 years and it sure doesn't seem like it. It is the best pipe site on the web as far as content and discussion goes and it really isn't close.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
I guess I stuck around because I enjoy reading others’ opinions on things. That and the light-hearted ribbing, interesting stories, and general foolery. I’d say the forum has the general feel of an old school barber shop: mostly guys goofing around, giving each other a hard time, swapping stories, and having a good time. The distinction being that we also have nice input and conversation from some female members, as well, which is nice. The old barber shop has pretty much disappeared, and I’ve gone bald-headed anyway, so this is my virtual barber shop. ☕
I think I agree with you but I'm not too familiar with old barber shops; I usually get a hair cut when my wife finally shouts at me to get it cut (usually every 2 to 3 years...) as she can't stand my hair being longer than hers.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Once I figure out enough and get all the gear I lust after, I’ll stick around for a few more months and then be on my way. I’ll check in once a year to see if anything is new when I place an order to replenish whatever I’ve smoked over the year.

My personal history is littered with forums userids with 2-3 years of posting, then darkness. Bladeforums, badger & blade, ADV rider, and before that, USENET. And on and on.

What will the next thing be? Who knows?
Oh man I was heavy on Bladeforums for years.
The site owner lives here in Louisville and has a nice shop.

In fact, before I fell in to pipes my main expensive hobby was knives.
I semi-regret selling a couple Shirogorovs to fund some of my first big pipe and tobacco purchases.

Status
Not open for further replies.