PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maulragoth

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2018
S̛̊͆͐M̿̃́̈̃͌́̑̑̔̌̉͆̆̀̚Ơ̐́̀̾̐̒̀̀̒͂̕͠͝K̅̿̃́͊̄͘͝͠Ì́̍͑͝Ǹ͐̌͗͐̊͑̎̆̀̚͝͠G͌̓͑̔̈̅̅́̌̐͐̕ Murray's 1921 Cunningham
Incendiary Device: Missouri Meerschaum bent Twain, blk/wht swirl "Regal" Forever Stem
Quenching Device: Garage Brewing - Belgian Tripel
Adventuring Device: Guild Wars 2
Sonic Device: Goddess of Bagpipes Snake Charmer

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Its pretty high, that alone has kept me ran off..
The price is high, but the blocks are incredibly dense and no matter how you slice it, you'll get a long, cool smoke. Not only that, if you like Dunhill Peterson Deluxe Navy Rolls, you will find that Curly Block is a mildly sweeter, but fuller, richer version. It's more like the Murray's production of Navy Rolls, which is superior to the later versions.

Also, the price isn't as high as it seems when you compare its weight to what you would pay for the weight of the Navy Rolls. In fact, an equal amount of Navy Rolls ($16.95 a tin) would cost you more than Curly Block ($16.10 per 50 grams).

Here's my review if it'll help you decide:
The Virginias are very earthy and woody with a fair amount and variety of sweet fermented flavors: brown sugar, tangy dried and ripe dark fruits, light tart and tangy citrus, some floralness as well as a little grass. The perique is spicy, raisiny, figgy, and plumy with date overtones. The fermentation process enhances the inherent properties of the tobaccos and creates a harmonious smoking experience that tastes the same from the first puff to the last. The strength, nic-hit and taste levels are medium. No chance of bite or harshness, though it does have a light roughness. No dull or weak spots. Curly Block reminds me very much of the Murray’s version of Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls, except that this is sweeter and just a little smoother, with a shade less perique, and slightly higher floral note. Both have a touch of licorice, prune and plum toppings, too. The block (not plug) of tobacco will take some time to slice and prepare to your personal specifications. It’s moist and some may want to dry it first, though I find it works fine as it is, providing it’s packed a little loosely in the bowl. Burns cool, clean and very slow, requires some relights, and leaves very little moisture in the bowl if packed with care, so I suggest a little patience for the full experience of what it has to offer. Though you may have to stir the bottom ten percent just a little if you don’t use a wide bowl, you can smoke it to a fine ash. Has a very smooth, well balanced, deeply rich sweet, floral, spicy flavor from start to finish. The after taste will pleasantly linger as will the lightly stronger room note. Not an all day smoke, but it is repeatable.

NewEnglandPiper38

Might Stick Around
Nov 4, 2019
Massachusetts, USA
Smoked Sutliff 515RC-1 from my Mastercraft French Made Algerian Briar Tankard as I went to pick up an orphaned kitten that was going to be put down. Maybe 1-1.5 weeks old? Got her set up in the spare bedroom in a carrier with blankets, a clock, and heat lamp. Just fed and pottied her for the first time ... calling her Jupiter.
View attachment 34862
View attachment 34863
thank god for people like you, reading this made my day.

Status
Not open for further replies.