PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I always envy those who find a blend or few blends that they can smoke exclusively and be satisfied.
I on the other hand, am all over the place and not loyal to any particular blend, some days it will be Royal Yacht and other days it will be Three Nuns or some codger blend, or something else completely different.
I find that I bore easily after a few bowls of a particular blend and I'll put the lid on it and drag something else out to smoke for a while... and so on... and so on!
I have been doing this for the whole of my pipe smoking years (7 years total) and often wonder how many other pipe smokers out there are just as capricious.
This is strange for me, because in other aspects of my life I do not readily accept change very well and usually stick with what I know, but not so with pipe tobacco... by my own admission I am an odd duck!
In the end I guess we all smoke what we like, even if our tastes do change day-to-day.

Pipelady20

Can't Leave
Apr 17, 2020
East coast, USA
www.pipesmagazine.com
I'm still new to this but have found myself winding down to liking English blends, especially Latakia forward Peterson ones. I do find that i need a change and when i do i really like Dark Fire Kentucky in the blends (Hal O the Wynd) and perhaps a VaPer like Luxury Bullseye Flake. So for the most part I look at it as 3 types instead of only 3 tins.

Anything that appeals to your senses, many people (Including me) will continue to look for variety. Others will settle down to what they like. Both are ok.

Take the case of food - It serves the dual purpose of nourishment and appealing to your senses. That’s why many of us crave variety in food.

Take the case of alcohol. It also has a dual purpose, and if you are craving for taste, you will look for variety.

Same goes with exotic vacations,
tobacco, nice perfume and many others.

sumusfumus

Jul 20, 2017
New York City
I always envy those who find a blend or few blends that they can smoke exclusively and be satisfied.
I on the other hand, am all over the place and not loyal to any particular blend, some days it will be Royal Yacht and other days it will be Three Nuns or some codger blend, or something else completely different.
I find that I bore easily after a few bowls of a particular blend and I'll put the lid on it and drag something else out to smoke for a while... and so on... and so on!
I have been doing this for the whole of my pipe smoking years (7 years total) and often wonder how many other pipe smokers out there are just as capricious.
This is strange for me, because in other aspects of my life I do not readily accept change very well and usually stick with what I know, but not so with pipe tobacco... by my own admission I am an odd duck!
In the end I guess we all smoke what we like, even if our tastes do change day-to-day.
Why fight it? Having the option of smoking many different tobacco blends, is a gift!

I absolutely love chocolate cake. If I had to eat only chocolate cake, I'd quickly tire of the taste, and then, learn to hate it. Trite example, but it's true.

Enjoy the all the choices, all the varieties, of tobaccos and mixtures. One day they might be gone. Sadly, all things are now possible in this country.

F4RM3R

Nov 28, 2019
Canada
I rarely smoke the same blend one after another of my 3-4 bowls a day. So ya I mix it up all the time. I do mostly blending myself though. But I am smoking a heavy English with Kentucky and perique right now again for the second smoke of the day, albeit with a pinch more latakia. So there is always exceptions to the rule.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think I have about twenty "open" blends going in rotation, but not strict rotation, so I can smoke up a tin while other blends languish, all this at a snail's pace, with another forty blends or so waiting in the wings, most of which I've never sampled, still sealed. However, if I were narrowed down to six or ten blends, and a few condiment tobaccos that I could mix, I think I could be content. I'm a moderate smoker, so I don't burn out on blends that often.

mityahicks

Nov 18, 2018
I mostly bounce around blends. After 3 years of pipe smoking that hasn't changed much for me. That said, I have favorites I've put away.

If McClelland were still around my habits would be different as they were my preferred blends. I was a broke college student when they closed and couldn't afford to buy much. A couple choice McClelland blends and my Tobac Manil would easily keep me interested now that I've tried so many blends.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
I like the simplicity of a good Virginia so I have alot of them put away. At first I had a strong like for HH old dark fired and put a fair bit away. I'm just realizing now that it is a little too spicy for my straight Va palate I've developed. I'll still smoke it occasionally though when in the mood. I have around 25 - 30 open blends I rotate from, and they include a little bit of everything. I havnt reached for an aromatic in quite a while, and very seldom do I reach for an English these days. It's nice to have a variety to choose from though, incase the mood strikes

skydog

Jun 27, 2017
The majority of what I smoke is Virginia or VA/per. I can smoke a single blend for weeks and other times I have a different tobacco for each pipe of the day. I rarely smoke Burley or Latakia blends but I always keep some of each on hand for when the mood strikes me. When I am on a kick of only smoking one tobacco it's nice to not have to think about what tobacco I want to smoke. But unless it was McClelland I think I'd get bored sooner or later.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I enjoy variety and have found 43 different blends that I cellared and keep me from getting bored with any one blend. I never smoke the same blend more than once in a day. I might not smoke a specific blend for a couple of weeks and then smoke it 3 days in a row. I smoke 4-6 bowls a day and when I get up to smoke my first, I will stare at the stash a couple of minutes and then pick something for the first then the second then the third, after that who knows. I stick to flakes and plugs but have been a bit lazy on the plug action. I need to find a couple that have some decent age on them. Wessex Gold Brick and Peterson Perfect from 2013 are here somewhere.

Magpiety

Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
I've gotten to where I mainly smoke just a few blends, but I still get excited and buy new ones that I see. I usually smoke 2 bowls and then put them in a jar where they stay in perpetuity