PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Of course I now have a size small, a size extra small with olive wood handle, and a size large in all black finish on the way. Ha ha
Do you own or have you used the opinel to compare the two? I like the look of these better, and have been wanting an opinel.

Reactions: kurtbob
Aug 1, 2012
Do you own or have you used the opinel to compare the two? I like the look of these better, and have been wanting an opinel.
I have both and like both. The steel on the Opinel is very slightly better at holding an edge; the handle materials and shaping are significantly more comfortable in the hand and in the pocket on the Old Bear; the lock is significantly better on the Old Bear; however the unfinished handle on the Old Bear requires more maintenance so it doesn't get loose.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I’ve never messed with these, so I can’t say if they’re good or not. The steel and heat treat is what differentiates a good knife from a KSO (knife shaped object). They look nice though. ?‍♂️
I may go to the Gatlinburg area later this year, and any time I do, I go by Smoky Mountain Knifeworks. I may pick one up if I remember, just to see.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I have both and like both. The steel on the Opinel is very slightly better at holding an edge; the handle materials and shaping are significantly more comfortable in the hand and in the pocket on the Old Bear; the lock is significantly better on the Old Bear; however the unfinished handle on the Old Bear requires more maintenance so it doesn't get loose.
The handle is oil finished on the Old Bear. Yes the blade on the Opinel is slightly better and the handle is lacquered rather than oiled. Old Bear uses 420 stainless but is also available in Carbon which should take an even better edge.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
BROB, is the blade carbon steel? I enjoy my stainless steel, but carbon steel is the real deal to me -- two different brands from France. If they get a little stained and spotty, it's beautiful to me. I like them so well, I carry them somewhat less.

Reactions: rushx9

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
BROB, is the blade carbon steel? I enjoy my stainless steel, but carbon steel is the real deal to me -- two different brands from France. If they get a little stained and spotty, it's beautiful to me. I like them so well, I carry them somewhat less.
They have both. The carbon have a big black block on the blade that says “CARBON”. ?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A footnote: I don't know how anyone, male or female, lives without a handy folding knife, especially now that we do so much shopping online and everything arrives in shipping boxes, but I use a pocket knife for all manner of tasks. Poorly designed packaging these days requires a blade. I have fond memories of my dad conferring a pocket knife or two upon me when I was about eight, a Kamp King with the can opener and screw driver, and a Barlow with two blades. Those and handling fire safely were big rites of passage. If I'd screwed up, he would have confiscated them. So I didn't. Later in life, there came the time when I had to always be mindful of security checks and leave the knife in the car, even puny pocket knives, or bury them in the landscaping to retrieve later. Good security would hold the knife in an envelope to return. My latest inconvenience on that score was a trip to the emergency room with my wife, which is like going to the airport, but they held the knife for me. That's why I hesitate to carry a good carbon blade knife. I don't want some jack taking it home with him after his shift on security.

• Love
Reactions: BROBS
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I wish they made a mini version of this type of knife.. even the smallest Opinel is still appears to be pretty heavy. I prefer a very small pocket knife, it's a struggle to keep from having too much stuff in my pockets..

Reactions: rushx9
Status
Not open for further replies.