PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dr_Harshit_Joshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2020
Nainital, India
I picked up the pipe again in 2017, smoked for a few months, paused, picked up again in 2019. Overall, I have been enjoying a pipe for a continuous span of one year.

The ITC pipe tobacco were good then, and affordable to college students. Too bad they stopped selling pipe tobacco. I did not know that!
I like German tobaccos- Very happy with Reiner Long Golden Flake (Gold Blend No 71). I have purchased a huge HU tobacco sampler recently and enjoying them so far. I also have Dan tobacco in my radar, and although not smoked any yet, I have a couple of tins of Old Ironsides in my cellar. Otherwise, I enjoy Dunhill (Now Peterson), Smokers Haven, Gawith Hoggarth & Co, Esoterica, and C&D Burley based tobacco.
Don’t smoke aromatics much, but occasionally I would have a bowl of aromatics as well.

I am not much aware of the pipe tobacco availability in India, but these kind of posts excite me.
cshubhra, that's great that you are enjoying the hobby. And your cellar do have great collection.

Happy Piping! puffy

Reactions: cshubhra

Dr_Harshit_Joshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2020
Nainital, India
I'd highly recommend www.tobaccopipes.com Great after sales service and they've got a decent range of MM cobs [very good smokers - I've got 3 & intend to add a few more to my rotation]

TobaccoPipes basic USPS postage is approximately $20 with tracking. Have not lost an order out of around 25 altogether.
I did tried tobacco pipes but their shipping method is kinda on a costlier side with Flat Rate Special.

For now, SP would work for me. Just wanted to test out whether Super Saver delivers as promised or not!

Happy Piping, puffy

Reactions: chopper

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Ever get "Dinged" coming across?
Good question.
I've been told that premium post like Priority & private carriers such as DHL attract the most scrutiny from Customs.
Going the cheapest postal route is probably the safest way to go if Indian Customs has the same attitude.

Reactions: Dr_Harshit_Joshi

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Additionally, if you order tobacco from the States at a later date, I would recommend foregoing SmokingPipes as an option and opting for 4Noggins. The latter is particularly adept at getting packages by customs unnoticed, whilst the former is fairly obvious to officials.

TobaccoPipes has an excellent range and good prices [SmokingPipes wouldn't ship to Australia] I ordered quite a bit from them.
Then U.S. Customs started leaning on them to declare the contents as tobacco when the laws changed here so I started using 4noggins. My last 5 orders made it here safely.

Reactions: davidsaulmarshall

Dr_Harshit_Joshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2020
Nainital, India
Good question.
I've been told that premium post like Priority & private carriers such as DHL attract the most scrutiny from Customs.
Going the cheapest postal route is probably the safest way to go if Indian Customs has the same attitude.
chopper, yes I did heard a lot about choosing cheapest shipping possible. Choosing cheap method did help in getting away from customs unnoticed. But that's not a big concern for me. I just want the package do arrive sound and safe.

Happy Piping! puffy

Reactions: chopper

Dr_Harshit_Joshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2020
Nainital, India
If you hadn't checked them out yet, Dan Tobacco makes many wonderful blends across many different styles. And no, I am not just saying that out of solidarity for a fellow Dan. ;)

I did have Da Vinci, Devil's Holiday, Blue Note and Vanilla Honey Dew from Dan Tobacco in my radar for now. I did heard Dan Tobacco are good to go with..

Thank you for your recommendation!

Happy piping! puffy

Dr_Harshit_Joshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2020
Nainital, India
I ordered my Cobs from SP (through Super Saver International) (No Tracking) on 26th Feb. Already been 3 weeks for now. I also heard from people around that COVID-19 outbreak is causing slowdown here in India and around the world alike.
Shall I wait or shall I inform the authorities regarding the situation at SP?

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I ordered my Cobs from SP (through Super Saver International) (No Tracking) on 26th Feb. Already been 3 weeks for now. I also heard from people around that COVID-19 outbreak is causing slowdown here in India and around the world alike.
Shall I wait or shall I inform the authorities regarding the situation at SP?

I am much closer (Canada) to SP and that inexpensive shipping takes two weeks to get to me at the best of times. I would wait.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm a fan of Missouri Meerschaum both because they are the absolute standard for cob pipes and because of Missouri connections of my own ... I went to university there and my wife grew up there. I would strongly suggest buying the special edition MM pipes that come readymade with acrylic stems. The stems last years longer and do not need replacing, and do not annoy by chewing through. Since you are going to some trouble to have the pipes shipped to India, the increased prices make it worth it. They cost about twice as much, but the stems last years longer. Best smoking!

Dr_Harshit_Joshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2020
Nainital, India
I am much closer (Canada) to SP and that inexpensive shipping takes two weeks to get to me at the best of times. I would wait.
Thank You Casual, I think I might be exaggerating the situation due to COVID-19 outbreak.. another thought been the package won't get lost in transit due to lockdowns around the world.. Lets hope fpr the best though..
Happy Piping! puffy

Dr_Harshit_Joshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2020
Nainital, India
I'm a fan of Missouri Meerschaum both because they are the absolute standard for cob pipes and because of Missouri connections of my own ... I went to university there and my wife grew up there. I would strongly suggest buying the special edition MM pipes that come readymade with acrylic stems. The stems last years longer and do not need replacing, and do not annoy by chewing through. Since you are going to some trouble to have the pipes shipped to India, the increased prices make it worth it. They cost about twice as much, but the stems last years longer. Best smoking!
mso489, thank you for sharing out your account. MM cobs are timeless. I might need to wait for my current order for now. It holds 2 very cheap Missouri Pride (Straight and Bent), reason being I wanted to begin humble into pipe smoking. If the order makes it safely to my destination, I would love to get high end cobs and other pipes later on..
Happy Piping! puffy

Dr_Harshit_Joshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2020
Nainital, India
MY PIPES NEVER ARRIVED

COVID-19 ruined it all. The package from SP which got shipped on 26th Feb never delivered to my destination. I waited for 15 weeks. But I never heard from India Post officials or from customs office. Best was, SP Officials stood on their words and refunded me the money.

• Wow
Reactions: chopper and BROBS