PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Dan Tobacco Devil's Holiday is one of the few blends I've dried to almost crispy and it still retains its flavor with no discernible loss. The berry flavor is very easy to taste and people around me love the room note.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
My guess is that you'll get over it. Smoke enough english blends and virginias, and some day when you are ready for it you will come back to aros. If not on a regular basis, I will guarantee you than once every blue moon at least you will have the craving for a good aromatic - and trust me there are some good ones out there.
I totally agree with this. My gateway back to occasional aros was St Bruno Flake. It was a very pleasant break from virginias and english blends. I even polished off a tin of Molto Dolce—wet and sticky, yes, but no problem keeping lit, molto tasty and handy for coloring a meer.

Reactions: madox07 and mso489

Buckler

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 25, 2020
NSW, AUSTRALIA
It’s because you’ve got the wrong aros.

I posted about vanilla custard that I had in a pouch, open in my car door pocket, for at least 1 year.. maybe 2. The shit was still wet when I threw it away! Total garbage.

So what are your recommendations for performance and flavour?

Buckler

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 25, 2020
NSW, AUSTRALIA
MacBaren Vanilla Flake
Gawith Hoggarth Cherry Vanilla
Gawith Hoggarth Kentucky Nougat
To name a few of the most widely available... @Buckler

MacBaren Vanilla Flake keeps comeing up so its on my 'to buy' list of aros.
The other two big ones people keep metioning are
CAO Eileen's Dream
&
Cult Blood Red Moon

Thoughts on these??

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
I put some in a pouch last week I just really like my OTC's pack and go no waiting
I tend to agree most days... PA... easy, reliable, predictable. What I do that might work for you is to “stack” (I think folks call it that) where I put in 2/3 to 4/5 of the bowl with good, reliable PA or the OTC of your choice, then top off with a bit of the ARO. Wife likes the initial room note, and dealing with a moist ARO is easier in the lighting phase too.... then it smooths out into beautifully pleasant, easy to enjoy PA.

cachimbero

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2019
Cordoba, Spain
When pleasing others is a priority, I find Dan Pipe Treasures of Ireland Limmerick, McConell Red Virginia and Salty Dogs are very good performers, while leaving much pleasure for the smoker.

Reactions: Buckler

dkmdvm

Lurker
Feb 7, 2020
I've been going to crossovers like Sutliff Aromatic English and Lane HGL after smoking mainly non-aros for a while. They seem pretty sweet to me at this point. I've got some pretty goopy ones but haven't tried them. Been wanting to try some others like Bob's Chocolate Flake and DaVinci. I think they may be crossovers as well. This way I can scratch 2 itches at once.

Reactions: Bowie

Eaglesgift

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2020
Chiang Mai
I haven't tried many yet but Peterson Founder's Choice and Mac Baren Vanilla Cream both seem okay to me. Not wet and don't bite if I smoke them fairly slowly.

jdb67

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2020
Albuquerque, NM
I only have 2 aro's right now. Wilke 191 and Three Blind Moose. Smell good and smoke easy and most important, they don't bite me if I puff a bit too hard.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like a lot of the non-aromatic blends I try, and I'd re-order more if I didn't enjoy so many different ones. I do enjoy aromatics, but I have to smoke them slowly; I only like the ones that allow the tobacco flavor to predominate (tobacco forward as I like to say); and I find I have to be highly selective to find a few that I really enjoy. There is more effort required to acquire a taste for aromatics, a learning curve. Often, the non-aromatics are enjoyable right away.

marlinspike

Can't Leave
Feb 19, 2020
The PNW
I like a lot of the non-aromatic blends I try, and I'd re-order more if I didn't enjoy so many different ones. I do enjoy aromatics, but I have to smoke them slowly; I only like the ones that allow the tobacco flavor to predominate (tobacco forward as I like to say); and I find I have to be highly selective to find a few that I really enjoy. There is more effort required to acquire a taste for aromatics, a learning curve. Often, the non-aromatics are enjoyable right away.
That learning curve is why I really don't care for people new to the hobby being advised to take up aromatics. Aromatic blends require more knowledge to deal with in preparation, and a more developed cadence and pacing. New folks get these bite-inducing aromatics, think they smell wonderful in the bag, then recoil from the fact that the tobacco doesn't really "taste" like the topping, and that it's making the tips of their tongues feel scorched, and their mouths feel somewhat filmy.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I've been going to crossovers like Sutliff Aromatic English and Lane HGL after smoking mainly non-aros for a while. They seem pretty sweet to me at this point. I've got some pretty goopy ones but haven't tried them. Been wanting to try some others like Bob's Chocolate Flake and DaVinci. I think they may be crossovers as well. This way I can scratch 2 itches at once.
Good call. I would definitely recommend the Bob's Chocolate Flake and Two Friends English Chocolate for English aromatics.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
My guess is that you'll get over it. Smoke enough english blends and virginias, and some day when you are ready for it you will come back to aros. If not on a regular basis, I will guarantee you than once every blue moon at least you will have the craving for a good aromatic - and trust me there are some good ones out there.
I have to agree. I rarely smoke aros but when I want and aro like today that's what I want. And there are some amazing ones too.