PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Brobs, do you mind sharing what type of pipe and tobacco you used? Thanks
First pic was G&H Red... second Orlik Golden Sliced

the pipe is pretty much irrelevant as that’s always what I’ve got left unless a pipe isn’t drilled all the way to the bottom of the chamber. In that case you can’t help but leave a bit more dottle.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Try not to torch that last bit of tobacco. Depends on the day, it could be down to ash or some tobacco left over. Depends on the day, and how much is left, I might go for DGT. Lately, it's been mostly ash. Been drying longer and checking more frequently for moisture.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
The only person to regularly smoke the dottle was Sherlock Holms, and he was fictional. He would collect the dottle from the previous day's pipes and smoke them as his first pipe of the day. An iron constitution undergirding a superior mind.

I tried it once or twice on the assumption that strong tobacco could be made stronger having absorbed the strength from the smoke of every puff, hoping to have my fire lit.

Didn't happen and tasted a might peculiar. Gave up.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I always have a bit of left over un burned tobacco. Is this normal?
It won’t stay lit like the rest of the bowl. (A number of re lights of course).
‘They’ say that once the pipe won’t stay lit your done and to not keep trying.
I am wondering if this is the normal end point?
Or do people only have burned ash at the bottom?
That seems to be a lot of unburned baccy. Not a problem for most but at the prices we pay .....

The wide bowl of that pipe probably has a lot to do with it and maybe the position of the bore hole into the chamber.
If the bore hole is a touch high, build up some hard cake on the base of the bowl till it is flush with the bottom of the hole.

Buckler

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 25, 2020
NSW, AUSTRALIA
Here’s another I just smoked down for ya ?
View attachment 32382
Thanks heaps for thinking of me and snapping these pics!

So I am (I think, still a noob) a dry smoker.
I got gurgles the first half dozen bowls on and off. After reading about it I don’t get it anymore.
You must super dry your tobacco.

So to get to this point do u light frequently for the last 1/4 bowl?

Again thank you everyone else for your contributions. I will happily continue to smoke as I do now as it seems fairly standard. Just wanted to check I wasn’t doing anything incorrectly. (I think I am already doing all the suggestions)
???

Buckler

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 25, 2020
NSW, AUSTRALIA
That seems to be a lot of unburned baccy. Not a problem for most but at the prices we pay .....

The wide bowl of that pipe probably has a lot to do with it and maybe the position of the bore hole into the chamber.
If the bore hole is a touch high, build up some hard cake on the base of the bowl till it is flush with the bottom of the hole.

Hmmm, great point!
As u know I have made my first pipes and the hole may well be a little high.
Although, now tell me if my logic stands; if I am not biting the tobacco all the way down, will I ever build cake on the bottom...?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Thanks heaps for thinking of me and snapping these pics!

So I am (I think, still a noob) a dry smoker.
I got gurgles the first half dozen bowls on and off. After reading about it I don’t get it anymore.
You must super dry your tobacco.

So to get to this point do u light frequently for the last 1/4 bowl?

Again thank you everyone else for your contributions. I will happily continue to smoke as I do now as it seems fairly standard. Just wanted to check I wasn’t doing anything incorrectly. (I think I am already doing all the suggestions)
???
Yes I dry it until i feel no coolness with my fingertips. Sometimes if I can’t tell I pinch a bit and touch it to my bottom lip. (An art school trick to tell if your pottery is fully dry, as your bottom lip is the most sensitive to temperature and if it feels cool it’s still damp)

I wasn’t kidding in the other post though, I rarely relight.

part of it is getting it lit properly too. I do like 4-5 charring lights sucking the flame into the top of the tobacco. Then tamp lightly and suck the flame to just above but never touching the tobacco to fully light it. This creates a great ember that helps a burn to the bottom.

Buckler

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 25, 2020
NSW, AUSTRALIA
Yes I dry it until i feel no coolness with my fingertips. Sometimes if I can’t tell I pinch a bit and touch it to my bottom lip. (An art school trick to tell if your pottery is fully dry, as your bottom lip is the most sensitive to temperature and if it feels cool it’s still damp)

I wasn’t kidding in the other post though, I rarely relight.

part of it is getting it lit properly too. I do like 4-5 charring lights sucking the flame into the top of the tobacco. Then tamp lightly and suck the flame to just above but never touching the tobacco to fully light it. This creates a great ember that helps a burn to the bottom.

Thanks mate.
I am finding I am re lighting less and less frequently. Especially if I tamo as I go through the bowl.
Do u have the same success with aros? Can u get the dry enough and smoke them all the way down?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Thanks mate.
I am finding I am re lighting less and less frequently. Especially if I tamo as I go through the bowl.
Do u have the same success with aros? Can u get the dry enough and smoke them all the way down?
Yes, usually. They are just harder to get lit initially and may take even longer to dry. Some aros will never dry.. I consider those junk. Even Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic will dry.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Aw, BROBS, don't yank the poor guy's chain. ;)
He's messing with your head. :)

Nope, he's not. I once saw Brobs smoke an entire can of Captain Black Grape down to dust and that's stuff is like 58% PG. Twenty minutes later, he threw up into a pitcher and I swear, we could have sold that stuff as purple grape Kool-Aid. Sure, it stank like crap because it was vomit but still, it was astounding.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Hmmm, great point!
As u know I have made my first pipes and the hole may well be a little high.
Although, now tell me if my logic stands; if I am not biting the tobacco all the way down, will I ever build cake on the bottom...?
Good question.
Take notice which cuts of baccy smoke down leaving little dottle as some will burn better than others. Smoke the ones that do and you'll build cake.

You could try; when I'm breaking in a cob, to burn off the bit of hardwood stem that protrudes into the chamber, when near the end of a bowl, I add a pinch more baccy and really fire it up to get the wood smouldering.
As a bonus, that also builds up cake on the bottom rather well.

Lyle b

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2019
Northern rivers nsw Australia
Hey g'day, I've found my cadence and choice of tobacco dictates how much dottle , the older I get , the slower I smoke which in turn equals less dottle and more pondering , slow down and relax and enjoy the whole bowl , and stockpile while ya can , they are makein it harder down here to enjoy the simple things , all the thanks to our briar brothers across the ocean without whom I wouldn't be able to, cheers to yas

Reactions: Buckler

Leo

Might Stick Around
Jun 12, 2020
Seoul, South Korea
husky-h.tistory.com
I have same Problem.
a week ago, I have read the thread in here. that was about drying tobacco before smoke.
there's very many methods. I prefer the method that drying tobacco 1/3 and pack that first (to the bottom of the bowl). that was good. it absorb the moisture, so I could smoke with less moisture.
Have a Nice day!

Reactions: chopper and Buckler