PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I just find its too much too much work. Had some vanilla custard drying for a week still to wet . Sticking with PA and half & half
It’s because you’ve got the wrong aros.

I posted about vanilla custard that I had in a pouch, open in my car door pocket, for at least 1 year.. maybe 2. The shit was still wet when I threw it away! Total garbage.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Well.. you could try the microwave or stoving the stuff. A couple minutes in a hot frying pan should get them nice and toasty. That's the quicky method of drying out any tobacco. Many aros are designed so that they can sit in a pouch for months or maybe years before drying out. That's what you're up against.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Well.. you could try the microwave or stoving the stuff. A couple minutes in a hot frying pan should get them nice and toasty. That's the quicky method of drying out any tobacco. Many aros are designed so that they can sit in a pouch for months or maybe years before drying out. That's what you're up against.
I picture you with tobacco sizzling in a cast iron skillet ?

mityahicks

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 18, 2018
Boswell Aros come very smokeable. I usually give them a bit more, but I give everything extra dry time.

Reactions: Bowie
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Yeah, I haven't been an aro guy for over 35 years, not due to wetness, just a taste thing for me. Long preferred a more natural taste to my blends.
I’m with you for the most part. I don’t mind a topping, but only if it accentuates good tobacco and isn’t there to cover up bad tobacco. I’ll smoke an aromatic on occasion, but prefer the flavor emphasis to be on the leaf, and not the topping. And I don’t have much tolerance for goop. I find myself mostly smoking non-aromatic blends. The closest I usually get to an aromatic on a normal day may be Erinmore Flake or Gentleman Caller.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
There are some good aromatics out there. Then there are some I have to dry for 2 days. Even the real goopy ones are good once they're dry. I felt like this at first, but I eventually found some good stuff.

Most of the OTCs are aromatics.. they just contain some kind of lighter fluid that makes them burn good, even damp.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
My guess is that you'll get over it. Smoke enough english blends and virginias, and some day when you are ready for it you will come back to aros. If not on a regular basis, I will guarantee you than once every blue moon at least you will have the craving for a good aromatic - and trust me there are some good ones out there.