Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I smoke both, I have more briars than cobs. Its not that one is better than the other to me. It takes a while for them to get good and charred up, so they don't have that fresh cob taste. I have a couple of MM Hardwoods that I smoke as well, those also take some breaking in to be enjoyable

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
My experience, Given 10 cobs vs 10 quality machine made briars, 9/10 cobs would be good smokers. Of the briars, 6/10 would be good smokers, 4/10 not so much. Of the 6 good smokers, one would/could be a great smoker with the right blend.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I’m disappointed in myself really: I think I had plans to be a refined pipe smoker, pontificating over the merits of various English blends whilst gesturing with my Dunhill pipe but after a month, I seem to spend more time smoking strong Virginia/Burley blends with plum casings or similar, out of a Legend, Devil Cutty or Maple Country Gentleman.
Meh, plans change. All good.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
[Always a cob over briar for me, but I rarely smoke anything but Meers... ]

+1 when we are talking of smoking capabilities. Meers, morta and clay for me are far superior in terms of smoking capabilities. Then cobs and last briars.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
[Always a cob over briar for me, but I rarely smoke anything but Meers... ]

+1 when we are talking of smoking capabilities. Meers, morta and clay for me are far superior in terms of smoking capabilities. Then cobs and last briars.
I really notice no difference in any of them save the wide open draw in a cob.

smokeyweb

Dec 29, 2013
I prefer briars. I enjoy seeing the beautiful grain of a smooth finish pipe while smoking it, and enjoy watching them darken over time. Cobs are nice while camping or doing yard work... but when it’s time to relax, hand me a briar!

Reactions: jpmcwjr

davek

Mar 20, 2014
I much prefer cobs, myself. YMMV. (don't want to be a "thug")

A friend of mine got into refurbishing estates about a year ago. He is someone I have traded for tobacco with and he has given me presents of tobacco. Good guy. So, I actually got all my briars together but one and gave them to him. I've missed having that selection, but not much. One good smoking briar has been enough for me.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Given the vast number of briars, this result surprises me. I thought they had an obvoous superiority along a few dimensions to justify their popularity.

Personally I’m on a meer kick right now, once I decided to dive in head first and spend real money on a few. I don’t know yet if it’s the novelty but I’m enjoying them more than briar, even if not to the complete exclusion of briar. They seem to smoke smoke drier, can’t be charred, and are easy to clean hot.

I wonder how long it will last.

Reactions: BROBS and jpmcwjr

stokesdale

Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
I am just wondering if anyone ever preferred a cob over a briar. I own more briars than cobs but I smoke my cobs more than the briars
I love the flavor of cobs. I can taste the cob itself because I don't let a lot of cake build up (and yes, I do go through cobs more than most because of it). Adds a nice flavor to all of the virginias I smoke. That said, cobs reek more than briars when just sitting around and my wife doesn't like that at all, so I keep them out in my barn, meaning, I smoke them less than the briars (usually when I'm working on farm equipment or putting up hay). So, I would prefer to smoke the cobs, but smoke more briars for convenience more than anything.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
I smoke mostly meers now, but briar feels better in my hand and mouth (make your jokes), so if I had to choose, I'd go with Briar.

Although, there's something about smoking a burley blend in a cob.

Reactions: BROBS