PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 7, 2020
Lake Zurich, IL
Hello Gents,

Wondering your methods of storing pipe tobacco over a long period of time. I have several opened bags of bulk tobacco, and I like to vary what I smoke. If the tobacco gets too dry, I attempt to bring it back to life with one of those ceramic humidifying coins, but it’s never the same. I’m also hesitant about throwing it in my cigar humidor because of aroma mixing.
Anyone know of a good way to store tobacco for a year or more?

radrick96

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 4, 2020
Orlando, Florida
I went and bought several 4 oz jars. Perfect sizes I think because 2oz flake fit inside, 1.75oz broken flake barely fit, and 1.75oz ribbon cut had to be packed. The 6 jarred are open to grab when I want. The others I’ve got I’m going to cellar in unopened tins.

I do have a plug inside a pouch left to do that I’m guessing i need to seal...

Reactions: GentlemanJames

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
Ditto with mason jars.
James Mason jars!
james%2Bmason.jpg

James Mason - https://josephcrusejohnson.blogspot.com/2017/04/james-mason.html

Gecko

Can't Leave
Dec 6, 2019
Sweden
+1 for mason jars or equivalent.
I use the IKEA korken series of glass jars with snap lids. Cheap, readily available, and meant for canning so they work great.
20200524_231221.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
+1 for mason jars or equivalent.
I use the IKEA korken series of glass jars with snap lids. Cheap, readily available, and meant for canning so they work great.
View attachment 31080

Those are good for short term but I've had tobacco dry out in those.

Reactions: Gecko

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Cranberries! Those of a certain age may recall that just before T-giving many decades ago, we were told that cranberries causes cancer. I didn't believe it, and doubled up on helpings of that delicious berry.

Later, it was revealed that humans would have to ingest several cans a day for quite some time before the dreaded illness might kick in.

Reactions: bnichols23

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Cranberries! Those of a certain age may recall that just before T-giving many decades ago, we were told that cranberries causes cancer. I didn't believe it, and doubled up on helpings of that delicious berry.

Later, it was revealed that humans would have to ingest several cans a day for quite some time before the dreaded illness might kick in.
Was ok here. Left more for me.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
First of all definitely do not use cigar humidor, not only of the mixing flavour but because it is not airtight and it is not good for the aging process, if you want aging.

As said above for bulk you have the choice of mason jar and mylar bags. For tin if unopened they can stay so, if opened or you jar them or if you want to keep in the tin (mainly for space and weight reduction and for organization) you can effectively reseal with tick 3M aluminum tape, I am doing so and they stay fresh for many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.