PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
With lockdown over and still plenty of time on my hands, I have been looking round locally for a few estates for restoration.

Here are pics of the most recent finds, all still awaiting some TLC.

If anyone can provide any information I would really appreciate it.

The line up:

Dulwich Quaint 103

my understanding is that this is made by the famed Mr. Huybrecht himself.

Wyse Upside Down Pipe

Maybe used in the trenches during the war. I am really struggling to read the hallmark on this, but feel it has A. C and the London year mark of either 1918, 28 or 29. I'll see if I can get a better pic in the light and upload it.

Peterson 312

System 2. COM is Made in England (circle), and with the old style 'P' I think this dates in the Eire Era.

Benco 035

London Made
I cannot find any information about Benco apart from the old American cigarette brand. Can anybody help me out here? I have crossed referenced the 'B' mark on the stem with other brands, and even looked into Benwade seconds but nothing has popped up. This pipe is in great condition, and stoked to fins one with the original box and sleeve too.

Chur

P1011711.jpgP1011712.jpgP1011714.jpgP1011715.jpgP1011716.jpgP1011717.jpgP1011718.jpgP1011720.jpgP1011721.jpgP1011722.jpg

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Nice little collection of estates! I kind of like that upside down one, despite my opinions of the newer one on smokingpipes.

Remember that a delicate hand goes a long way for silver bands. Do you have a jewellers cloth?

yes I quite like the look/feel of this Wyse too. I might smoke it upside down if anybody gives me a hard time. Haha

I don’t have a jewellers cloth yet, next on the list, but I can borrow a neighbours in the meantime

Reactions: rushx9 and BROBS

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
"Who Made That Pipe" has:

Dulwich - not listed

Wyse - made by Last Word Pipe Company, England

Benco - not listed, odd that looks like a very complete product and well made

yes the Benco is really doing my head in. It is similar in feel to the Civic/Imperial 2-Point.

I managed to find an older post from the ‘Jensen encyclopaedia’ in regards to the dulwich

Reactions: rushx9 and BROBS

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
A stringer ! I do not quite remember, but if so, it was not one of these simple aluminium tubes,but one of these funny fantasy french ones.

Reactions: BROBS

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Wyse Upside Down Pipe

Maybe used in the trenches during the war. I am really struggling to read the hallmark on this, but feel it has A. C and the London year mark of either 1918, 28 or 29. I'll see if I can get a better pic in the light and upload it.

Absolutely a trench pipe. The hallmark must be 1918 since the business pretty much fell apart after the war ended, despite a brief effort to remarket the pipe as useful in bad weather instead of under fire from bullets and shells. The patent was originally applied for by Monckton Creagh Wyse (1880-1939; also known as Moncton Herbert Wyse, and later still Monckton Hamilton Wyse) in August 1916. The pipe's heyday was essentially limited to a two year period; by the end of 1918 with the wind down of the war in France the demand for a trench pipe disappeared. On December 20, 1918 Wyse left the partnership he had formed with Victor Salomon, called Wyse, Salomon and Company. I suspect Wyse brought the patent and a certain level of marketing expertise (he was in advertising for some time after the war ended) to the business, while Salomon, who is listed elsewhere as a maker of pipes, did the manufacturing.

Here is Wyse's patent application:

Wyse patent p 1.png

Wyse patent p 2.png

Wyse patent p 3.png

And here are a few ads published during the brief period the pipe was in demand:

One from 1916:

Wyse 1916.png

Another from 1917:

Wyse 1917.jpg.png

And one from near the end of the war in 1918:

Wyse July 1918.png

Attachments

• Wyse 1916.png
    Wyse 1916.png
    754.5 KB · Views: 3

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
As for the Benco, is there anything else at all printed or stamped on the box or the pipe?

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
As for the Benco, is there anything else at all printed or stamped on the box or the pipe?
Thanks mate for your wyse comments. Really appreciate all of the material.

the top of the box says “the BENCO briar” with London made underneath. There appears to be some Handwriting on the bottom which has been crossed out with a pen. I’ll see if I can figure out what it says. Otherwise all markings have been shown in the pics.

it’s really strange that I can’t find a single thing on the net about it

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some of those seem to be crossing the century mark and all are in surprisingly good shape and should richly reward loving restoration. To get this far in this shape, these pipes had an owner or owners who knew their pipe maintenance. After some years, most pipes get ravaged one way or another -- over-caked, over reamed, chewed up, rim charred. The big visible nick can probably be filled and inconspicuous, but is a badge of honor. That will be a fine row of venerable pipes, outstanding.

Reactions: BROBS and Ahi Ka

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I had wondered that, but I felt that the branding in the box was too different and assumes that a coupon pipe for that company would have been made in USA not London - but it does have the export markings on the silver collar
A lot of coupon pipes were made by major manufacturers. Some were French made, London made, etc.
at one time some of the basket quality pipes were exceedingly nice compared to today.

Reactions: Ahi Ka
Status
Not open for further replies.