PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Smoking a homemade English mixture I made a jar of a while ago and almost forgot about. Cheap Drexel VIII vaper flakes rubbed out mixed with C&D blending Latakia and two burleys. One burley is my buddy's homegrown high-nic ass-kicker stuff, the other is 40-year old Prince Albert. Doing wood stuff while smoking.

20200504_180510.jpg

virkia

Lifer
Jan 30, 2020
These pipes are fascinating. Can you tell us more, please? It might explain something. And where do you live? Connection with S.A.?

20200503_154509_resized-jpg.28677

No personal connection to S.A. or to these pipes - just a bit of a (UK) collector back in the day of antique briars and clays and all things pipe and pipe smoking related.

AlI I know about Boer War pipes is what I've read:
- They were made between 1899 - c.1906 by well respected makers such as BBB (Blumfeld's Best Briar), GBD (Ganneval, Bondier & Donninger) etc.
- Quality of carving varies with examples carved by Boer POWs and others by Brits now classified as "Trench Art".
- Some silver banded, some banded in electro-plate and others unbanded. Some also have hinged windshields.
- On the front of certain examples - such as the one on the far left - is an inset Republic of S.A. silver threepence showing the bust of Paulus "Oom (Uncle) Paul" Kruger (General and later President of the South African Republic) struck between 1892-1897.
Etc.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
What do you think of Radice? I have often looked but never touched.
This makes my fourth recent production Radice. For me they offer the best Italian value of price to quality. Their blasts and smooth pipes have shown exceptional grain, plus they’ve been using vulcanite for some stems. I also prefer their acrylic stems to Castello. It’s been my experience the Radice stems are slimmer at the button.

Status
Not open for further replies.